XY data not projecting correctly, showing small extent

Jump to solution
05-10-2021 11:43 AM
Labels (2)
KyleFuller2
New Contributor II

I was trying to bring in XY data into ArcMap but it is not projecting correctly.  I have the coordinate system set in the map, so it automatically applies to the data that I bring in.  I have never had issues when using this map before, but recently when I brought in some x,y data, it refused to project properly.  I tried looking it up and visiting other topics on similar issues, but unfortunately nothing worked.  I tried using the project tool to reproject it to the Projected coordinate system, but the extent still makes it seem like it's in a geographic coordinate system, and I am not sure why.  

Layer with the correct coordinate system:

KyleFuller2_1-1620672047391.png

Layer having issues projecting:  

KyleFuller2_0-1620672012034.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Let's correct the projection of the second dataset first.

Use Define Projection to the raster showing the values of Degrees (and units in Meters).

Coordinate System: GCS_North_American_1983

JayantaPoddar_0-1620684342665.png

This should put the data correctly on top of the map. Once the data overlays correctly, you may then use Project tool to reproject it to the desired Projected Coordinate System.

Think Location

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Let's correct the projection of the second dataset first.

Use Define Projection to the raster showing the values of Degrees (and units in Meters).

Coordinate System: GCS_North_American_1983

JayantaPoddar_0-1620684342665.png

This should put the data correctly on top of the map. Once the data overlays correctly, you may then use Project tool to reproject it to the desired Projected Coordinate System.

Think Location
0 Kudos