What is the "Search all sources" check box used for in the AGOL Basic Viewer app template configuration?

Jump to solution
05-07-2016 09:07 AM
JeffWard1
Occasional Contributor

I am implementing an app based on the ArcGIS Online Basic Viewer app template.  While configuring the search layers and fields there is a check box at the bottom of the page that says "Search all sources".  What does this do?  I have selected it and can't see any difference between it being checked or unchecked.

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Looks like a bug that should be fixed in the next release. We were missing code in the apps and configuration to check for and persist the 'all' value.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Jeff,

For searching AGOL, you have different options for searching. When you are logging into your organization, I think the default search is within your organization. Searching all sources searches your organization, the web, and all other sources.

Here is some more info on search:

Use search—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

0 Kudos
JeffWard1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply, but I am talking about making an app from a map and the app has a search function that allows users to search in specific fields for various layers.  The check box I am referring to is at the bottom of the search page of the configuration page.  This is for a standalone app not a WAB app.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Jeff,

What this sounds like is "all sources" would be "feature" and "locations". Normally, the search just defaults to locations. By checking the all box, I am guessing that it is combining the search results. Though, I believe your service has to be published with feature access allowed.

JeffWard1
Occasional Contributor

Here is a screenshot showing the page I am talking about.  Again, this is for the Basic Viewer web app template.

It sounds like if you enter something in the search box the app should search all of your search layers/sources.  But I check the box and the app still only searches within the default search.

I am hoping some AGOL staff can chime in here and let me know what this option really does. Kelly HutchinsKelly Gerrow

SearchAllScreenshot.JPG

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Jeff,

For starters, is it safe to assume that when you initially published your service, you allowed for Feature Access?

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/share-maps/publish-features.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_94021BE7D87547...

and see number 7. (I believe you will want to check the box for "Query" as well).

Also, in the properties of the feature service in ArcGIS  Online, have you configured your feature search to allow searching the feature service based on an attribute?

Configure feature search—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

I would think with all of the taken care of, then you should be able to see more results in your configured search in your basic viewer map. At least, I hope so.

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Looks like a bug that should be fixed in the next release. We were missing code in the apps and configuration to check for and persist the 'all' value.

JeffWard1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Kelly!

0 Kudos