Topology errors when loading parcel fabric

09-18-2013 08:03 AM
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III
I have a validated topology for some parcels I'm loading. No errors in Error Inspector. There are a number of exceptions. But the Load a Topology... gp tool errors out, saying 'There are topology errors in the data selected for loading.'. Does the gp tool treat exceptions as errors? If so, what's the point of marking exceptions, and how would they be handled anyway? I've marked some as exceptions because this is sample data. Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimHodson
Esri Contributor
Hi Greg,

In the context of loading a topology to a fabric, the Exceptions are reserved for lines that are to be imported as non-boundary lines, or non-road frontage lines, or for lines that do not form a required boundary of a parcel and should be ignored.

For example: by definition, a connection line will break the rule "Must be Covered by Boundary of"

However, this should not prevent you from importing connection lines, and so you can mark these lines as exceptions, place a field on the source data called "Category" and then populate these lines with the value '3' so that they will then be imported as connection lines.

If they are to be ignored then you'd mark them as exceptions and not give them a category value at all. There are some limits to what should be marked as an exception. For example, if an exception is set on a line that would be used as a boundary if it were not for its topology error, then the results of the import may result in the type of problems that you are reporting.

-Tim
BrandonSaunders1
New Contributor III
I am having the same problem only I have not marked any errors as exceptions.  The entire topology has been validated with no
errors but when I try to migrate the data to the parcel fabric it still says the topology has not been validated.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
TimHodson
Esri Contributor
Hi Brandon,

We fixed a bug at 10.1 that addressed a problem like the one you describe. This fix is also available on the latest service pack 5 for 10.0.

If you are using ArcGIS Desktop 10.0 sp5 or later, and you'd created the topology while using 10.0 sp5 or later, then it is not the same issue, and we'll need to get more information to learn why it's happening. Please contact tech support if the problem persists.

Thanks,
-Tim
0 Kudos