Snow Removal Solutions?

10-29-2020 05:39 AM
JosephKelly
New Contributor III

Good Morning All,

I work for a local public works department and am fairly inexperienced with GIS. As of January, I have become our department's GIS Professional, again up until January I had ZERO experience with GIS. Somehow my department director came to the decision that I have what it takes to spearhead this project for our City. Since that time I have picked up Survey123 and ran with it quite well.

All that said, we are preparing for the snow removal season. The department director loves the reports that Survey123 creates from the data that is submitted by our field workers and wants the same type of reports from QuickCapture. The issue with this assignment is that he wants these types of reports to come from QuickCapture. For snow removal, he desires to use QuickCapture but wants the reporting capabilities of Survey123. 

I have created a Dashboard from one of our QuickCapture projects, but it is not what he wants. As he wants to be able to single out certain days. 

Any workflow ideas and solutions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KaraShindle
New Contributor II

I was eyeballing some capabilities in ArcGIS Experience Builder for

potentially using our Property Management department for reporting on

assets. Have you looked at it yet?

Kara L. Shindle | GIS Coordinator

County of Franklin, Pennsylvania

Information Technology Services

Administration Annex

218 North Second Street | Chambersburg, PA. 17201

(717) 261-3149 | klshindle@franklincountypa.gov

0 Kudos
JosephKelly
New Contributor III

Kara,

No, I have not looked into Experience Builder, but I guess there is no better time than now to give it a look. 

Kara_Shindle
Occasional Contributor III

I know this isn't Survey123, but here is ESRI's Snow Solution: SnowCOP | ArcGIS Solutions for State Government 

Maybe it might give you some ideas he would like.  wish I could help more, interested to hear what others have.

0 Kudos
JosephKelly
New Contributor III

Thank you for the suggestion! SnowCOP is certainly something that I would suggest, though the director is looking less for tracking events and more for tracking the Department assets in the field while also tracking the amount of salt used, miles plowed, and miles salted. Which, is why QuickCapture is the perfect solution for tracking but does not offer the reporting capabilities that he is looking for. He more or less whats to say "Pull up everything that Unit # did on such and such day" and have a report printed off with a map and statistics showing only what that specific unit number did. He does not want to have to pull up a dashboard or webpage to view what he is asking for. 

I know there is a solution out there and I will find it.

0 Kudos
Kara_Shindle
Occasional Contributor III

I don't know what software or capabilities you have, but I could see that being accomplished with either a geoprocessing service or data driven pages if you have desktop GIS software.

Edit: Do you have any python experience?  Another option is ArcGIS Notebooks.  You could program a notebook to run and create something like that too, I would think.

0 Kudos
JosephKelly
New Contributor III

I do not have access to GIS Pro, but the GIS Administrator (he is the only other person working with GIS in the city) dose and he is going to look into your suggestion. 

Thank you for all of your suggestions. Whereas yesterday we did not have a path to follow, today we do. Thank you

0 Kudos