Should the LGIM be modified in any way? New fields/coded values?

08-15-2014 10:20 AM
Labels (1)
RobertThomson
Occasional Contributor II

I'm using the Canadian model but I'm sure my questions would apply equally the LGIM.

1.  When I brought my existing data into the LGIM I created new fields for data not included in the LGIM such as MH width, etc.  Looking back I'm wondering if I should of done this or simply left the data external and linked to it when needed.  Having these additional fields makes it hard to move to newer models.

2.  Some of the coded domains don't exactly reflect our situation.  A good example would be DomainName AssetOwner:

Coded Values

1  Our Agency

-1  Private

-2  Other

I'd like something like:

1  City of Miramichi

-1  Private

-2  Provincal

Can or should I change coded domain values?  Once again moving to a newer version is likely going to cause me difficulty.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LeonS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Yes, I would feel free to modify domain values and add additional fields, as you see fit.  I have modified the values of several of the domains to meet our specific needs.

I have not yet tried this migration wizard myself, but it might assist with the migration process when moving to a newer version...

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=b815962711984c008586128c936661a6

Leon

0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Robert,

I simply use the model as a guide.  I found I needed to make significant changes to it for it to work with my city.  And really, who wants to have to change all the domains every time they do an update.  If they have a brand new feature class that I need and like the model I may use their schema directly.  For the most part I pay little attention to the updates though.  Once its established, it's established.

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

That being said, the migration wizard Leon mentioned may take care of my issues with constant updating. 

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos