Remove sections of polygons that do not meet minimum contiguous area requirement?

10-22-2018 06:51 AM
ColinMurtoff1
New Contributor II

I am performing parcel analysis that requires the removal of parcel sections that do not meet a minimum contiguous area requirement of 300 square feet (able to have a 300x300ft square pass through it). Is there a way to identify and remove these parcel sections, or "thin strips", that do not meet this requirement? See attached photo for clarification.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
ColinMurtoff1
New Contributor II

Marianne,

I did run repair geometry before applying the buffer, but to no avail.

Dan,

I ran a negative buffer on the county boundary using the same units as a test, and this worked fine. It doesn't seem to be the file name or location, rather the outputs.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

then it lies in the buffer size you are trying to apply.... try a smaller one than the one you think will work

0 Kudos
ColinMurtoff1
New Contributor II

I did a test run buffer of -1 feet, which worked, followed by another test run of -10 feet, which also worked. I'm wondering if the strategy will be to run the buffer incrementally until I reach the desired size?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

might be... but if you can post a sample, Xander Bakker‌ said he would have a look at it since he is better suited to automate something like that given it is his code

ColinMurtoff1
New Contributor II

You have been a great help, Dan. I believe I have found a work-around to the negative buffer issue by: converting polygons to polylines, buffering those polylines by the amount needed in the negative buffer (212ft), and then performing an erase on the polygon layer with the polyline buffer layer. This seems to have done the trick.

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Dan and Xander were a big part of How to find the maximum rectangle contained within a polygon.  This seems to be a bit more common in raster/image processing than vector processing.  pogam · GitHub synthesized some ideas from a few years ago on StackExchange, and created GitHub - pogam/ExtractRect: find the largest rectangle inscribed in a non-convex polygon