Parce Fabric from Step 1

12-10-2012 06:29 PM
TomNeer
New Contributor III
Next year we will be implementing Parcel Fabric for Gilpin County, CO. It is a small rural county with no high-precision network and conflicting PLSS data (USGS and BLM do not match). Our current parcels were digitized poorly from Assessor maps and are not worth importing into the fabric. As a result, we will be going section by section through the county and traversing in all the surveys we have records for.

I have meeting with the county surveyor to decide what were are going to do about the PLSS grid issues. As this is early on, I am looking for input from others of gotchas, things you wish you'd have implemented, etc. Any input is appreciated.

Best,
-Tom
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello Tom,
Having the resources to capture the parcel from scratch is a privilege not many counties can afford. If you capture them correctly you should end up with very good data. Here are a few recommendations:

1. Start with a good cadastral framework, in your case good PLSS sections. If you can have a surveyor recapture the section corners any other legal document that ties to the framework will have better accuracy. In some areas you might also need the quarter section corner.

2. Capture all the parcels, including the historic parcels, and make sure to enter the legal start date and the legal end date.

3. Use the Local Government Information Model �?? this will save you time of data modeling, editing map configuration and you can benefit the automated workflows.

4. If you find out that after you capture everything you can for an area you still have holes �?? use the legacy data with low accuracy (6 or 7) and the first join option.

5. Use plans to reference the legal document (subdivision, deed�?�) that created the geometry. You can save it on a shared directory and use the plan source document field to paste the link, making it easier to retrieve later.

6. Use accuracies when entering data on plans.

7. Capture the lots and the ROWs �?? this will maintain connectivity and will allow you to run adjustment (LSA) in the future.

There are probably a few more that might be data specific that you will encounter. Start with a pilot area to come up with the best process that includes QA.

Amir
0 Kudos
AaronCole1
Occasional Contributor
Hi Tom,

I'm in the process of building our parcel fabric from the ground up as well.  Our existing layer is crudely digitized and in some cases hundreds of feet off.  Our workflow consists of processing CAD data from the plat maps and then loading them into the fabric page by page.  I'd be happy to discuss our process with you further if you have any questions.  It would be great to network with another municipality going through the same process.  Most are fortunate enough to have good data to load into the fabric from the get go! 

Best,

Aaron Cole
GIS Tech
County of Nevada, California
aaron.cole@co.nevada.ca.us
(530)265-1789
0 Kudos