Need Help getting started with LGIM

06-04-2013 12:57 PM
DenisCalarco
New Contributor II
So, after searching through the forums here, I have reached a point where I still have no idea what is going on.

We are basically starting fresh in my municipality.  I would like to use the Local Govt. Infrastructure editing tools, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get started.

The download came with alot of information already, for the place in IL. 

What I need to find out is:

1. How can I easily change everything to my local coordinate system instead of IL State Plane?

2. How can I remove all of the existing features, like pipes and manholes and stuff, so that I can replace it with my own?

3. Can I use this with my ArcPad installation to collect new info in the field? 

I tried to create a new map, and insert the stuff from the gdb in the download, but none of the symbols or linetypes carry over. 

Sorry , Im sure this has been discussed, but Im overwhelmed by all of the information available.

Thank you so much!

D
10 Replies
MatthewPalavido
New Contributor III
Hi D,

We recently implemented the model as well and there are a few tools that help out tremendously. The X-Ray for ArcCatalog Add-in will let you create a new geodatabase with a schema identical to the one you downloaded with the Illinois data. It will let you change the projection to your local projection and create just the schema (i.e. no data, empty feature classes). Here is the link to the step by step process on how to do that:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/localgovernment/10.1/index.html#//028s00000049000000

Hope that helps some!

Matt
0 Kudos
DenisCalarco
New Contributor II
Matt,

Thank you so much for that!  That sounds like exactly what I need.  Ill check it out tomorrow at the office and report back to you.

I think the worst thing is the schema, it was making me nuts to import the feature classes, only to have the symbology become little colored dots. 

I figured out what I was doing wrong with the mobile bit....sort of.  When I name my located manholes in ArcPad, they follow a pattern, for example:

On Broad Street in drainage area 4, the manholes would be numbered BRD4-1, BRD4-2, etc. 
Same street in drainage area 5 is BRD5-1, BRD5-2, etc.

When I bring the data back into ArcMap, LGM automatically names them MH-1, MH-2, etc. regardless of what I called them in the field, and I cannot change them after that.  Can I tell it to just take the names I give them in ArcMap?  (ArcMap is also painfully slow, but that may just be my Trimble Nomad)

Thanks,

D
0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor
Denis,
   You will need to configuration the Attribute Assistant for your environment.  In your TOC find the Dynamic Value table and turn off/remove the rules you are not using.
0 Kudos
DenisCalarco
New Contributor II
Well, it worked!   Sort of....when I try to verify the file, I keep getting a bunch of differences.  Things that are supposed to be
"true" are coming in as "null"
0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor
You can turn off the Attribute Assistant using the Attribute Assistant toolbar, you might want to do that also.
0 Kudos
DenisCalarco
New Contributor II
So, Ive tried, and tried and tried, and then, just for the heck of it, tried again.

I cannot get this xml to import properly.

There are warnings and errors all over the place.  I redownloaded everything numerous times, uninstalled and reinstalled the entire Esri suite, tried all the operations on a freshly formatted external, and I am out of ideas.

The videos have been less than helpful.  Perhaps it is because I am trying to use the entire LGIM?

I tried to just ignore the differences, because at the moment I just need the water/wastewater/stormwater stuff, but when I try to add the layers to my map, the symbols are just colored dots, and there are no options for different pipes when editing.
0 Kudos
HeatherEisan1
New Contributor III
DJCalarco have you seen the Getting Started with the Local Government Information Model video? This video demonstrates how to use X-ray for ArcCatalog to import the Local Government Information Model into an empty file geodatabase.

Can you clarify what you mean 'there are no options for different pipes when editing'? Do you mean the attributes for you pipes attributes are not populated? or are the domains unavailable?
0 Kudos
DenisCalarco
New Contributor II
Can you clarify what you mean 'there are no options for different pipes when editing'? Do you mean the attributes for you pipes attributes are not populated? or are the domains unavailable?

Yea, Ive watched that one, thanks though.  I do everything the same way as in the video, but no matter what, I wind up with errors, differences, and warnings out the whazoo when I diff the xml and the gdb.

If I just ignore these errors, I can get the layers in the maps, but the symbols are not there, nor are any of the attributes.  I guess that they are not populated, if I were to open an edit session on say, the sanitary mains, when I go to create a new pipe, there are not different pipe sizes and whatnot.
0 Kudos
HeatherEisan1
New Contributor III
I believe the 'errors' you are referring to is the XrayDifferences.html. This html document is showing you the differences between the 'local government' geodatabase and the LocalGovernment.xml. You can apply those changes to your local government geodatabase or just leave it as is.

If you add a layer to a new ArcMap document the layer will be symbolized using the default ArcGIS symbology, however if you wanted to use the symbology used in the WaterUtilitiesNetworkEditing.mxd, you can simply re-source the data source from Naperville to your own data. You can try sourcing layers individually within the layer properties dialog box. Or you can set the data source for the entire mxd in ArcCatalog. Before you re-source your data to the mxd you probably want to ensure the attributes match up especially if the layer uses unique values from a field to symbolize features.
0 Kudos