Local Government Information Model: Direction Domain, possibly incorrect?

05-03-2016 12:30 PM
AlexCarter
New Contributor II

There are six feature classes that use the "Direction" domain in the LGIM.

Sign (facing direction)

TrafficCamera (facing direction)

ssManhole (sanitary sewer) (flow direction)

swManhole (storm water) (flow direction)

RoadBlock (cardinal direction of road closure)

RoadBlockPoint (cardinal direction of road closure)

The domain holds these coded values.

East

North

South

West

Northeast

Northwest

Southeast

Southwest

North/South

East/West

Northeast/Northwest

Southeast/Southwest

For the RoadBlock and RoadBlockPoint feature classes the Northeast/Northwest and Southeast/Southwest codes do not help describe the cardinal direction of road closures (both lanes closed).

The Direction field in these feature classes is described as "The cardinal direction of the road closure" in the LGIM Data Dictionary.

Should these be Northeast/Southwest and Northwest/Southeast?  This would describe the direction correctly for road closures, and would follow the thought process behind North/South and East/West being used in this domain.

Is there a use outside of the RoadBlock feature classes that would use these codes that I'm not aware of?

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ScottOppmann
Esri Contributor

Alex -

We worked with Waze to integrate the RoadBlock and RoadBlockPoint schemas with their Connected Citizens program and I believe these domain values came from them.  But let me review them again post UC and see if we can standardize with the Direction domain values.  Thanks for pointing this out.

Scott

AlexCarter
New Contributor II

Scott,

Thanks for the information.  I will be interested to learn what your findings are.

Alex

0 Kudos