Line Geometry Not Working

Jump to solution
07-18-2017 04:52 PM
GISDepartment9
New Contributor III

I have some data that seems to have some geometry errors in it but I cant figure it out. I tried repair geometry and I tried exporting the feature class out to another GDB but it didn't work. it seems like a road is exploading into outerspace for no apparent reason. However, I can only tell if I try to select all of the roads. I found an error when trying to turn my road layer into a route. It gave me a

Please see the attached picture to see the problem.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

try to edit the line manually by isolating the vertices that are in error and remove them... there is no way to arbitrarily remove them.  Pass through many programs can cause problems as you have discovered

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

how was the line generated? it has extra vertices that aren't going to be corrected by repair geometry.  More details would help

0 Kudos
GISDepartment9
New Contributor III

I believe the line was hand drawn in geomedia then exported as a .shp then imported into a GDB. Is there a way to fix corruption? All I can imagine is that the data got corrupted somewhere along the imports and exports.  Unlike other features it doesn't have a shape_length that would be auto generated from being imported in a GDB.

If I select the feature that is corrupted and a I zoom to selection it zooms me in up close. Also, if I zoom to full map extent then it doesn't go to a crazy extent it stays within a reasonable extent.

Does that give enough info?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

try to edit the line manually by isolating the vertices that are in error and remove them... there is no way to arbitrarily remove them.  Pass through many programs can cause problems as you have discovered

GISDepartment9
New Contributor III

I ended up editing vertices and moving an end vertex and then saved my edits and the table then gave the feature a shape_length and got rid of the incorrect geometry. So I think it worked!

Thanks for the help and ideas!

0 Kudos