In the LGIM, there are the following fields in most of the layers:

LASTUPDATELast Update DateDate36
LASTEDITORLast EditorString50

When you enable editor tracking for a layer, it creates the following fields:

created_usercreated_userString255
created_datecreated_dateDate36
last_edited_userlast_edited_userString255
last_edited_datelast_edited_dateDate36

last_edited_user and last_edited_date are automatically populated when you edit, but these are duplicate fields of the LASTUPDATE and LASTEDITOR fields.

QUESTION:

Can I delete the "LASTUPDATE" and "LASTEDITOR" fields without messing up the layers when deploying maps/apps?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor

I cannot directly answer your question because I am personally not familliar with all of the local government maps/apps and if they rely on editor tracking fields.

I would suggest that rather than using the 'Manage > Enable editor tracking' option to enable editor tracking that you use either the GP tool or go to the properties page for the dataset. Using either of these options allows you to specify an already existing field to use for any of the four editor tracking fields. You could point to the existing LASTUPDATE and LASTEDITOR and use these instead.

Hope this helps,

Russell

JohnHunt2
New Contributor

Thank you Russell. I’ll give it a try. That would solve the problem. Have a good day.

John Hunt, Enterprise GIS Manager

City of Grapevine - IT

200 South Main Street

Grapevine, TX  76051

jhunt@grapevinetexas.gov

Office: 817-410-3542

IT CARES - Keeping you connected!

/

>>> Russell Brennan <geonet@esri.com> 10/22/2014 2:59 PM >>>

GeoNet

LASTUPDATE vs last_edited_date & LASTEDITOR vs last-edited_user

reply from Russell Brennan in Local - View the full discussion

I cannot directly answer your question because I am personally not familliar with all of the local government maps/apps and if they rely on editor tracking fields.

I would suggest that rather than using the 'Manage > Enable editor tracking' option to enable editor tracking that you use either the GP tool or go to the properties page for the dataset. Using either of these options allows you to specify an already existing field to use for any of the four editor tracking fields. You could point to the existing LASTUPDATE and LASTEDITOR and use these instead.

Hope this helps,

Russell

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on GeoNet

Start a new discussion in Local by email or at GeoNet

Following LASTUPDATE vs last_edited_date & LASTEDITOR vs last-edited_user in these streams: Inbox

/

0 Kudos
MarkCunningham1
New Contributor III

I use the "Enable Editor Tracking" Tool.  This allows you to assign the "Last Editor Field" to the LASTEDITOR field and the "Last edit Date" field to LASTUPDATE.

JohnHunt2
New Contributor

Thank you Jamie.

John Hunt, Enterprise GIS Manager

City of Grapevine - IT

200 South Main Street

Grapevine, TX  76051

jhunt@grapevinetexas.gov

Office: 817-410-3542

IT CARES - Keeping you connected!

/

>>> Jamie Birkett <geonet@esri.com> 11/6/2014 3:25 PM >>>

GeoNet

LASTUPDATE vs last_edited_date & LASTEDITOR vs last-edited_user

reply from Jamie Birkett in Local - View the full discussion

I use the "Enable Editor Tracking" Tool.  This allows you to assign the "Last Editor Field" to the LASTEDITOR field and the "Last edit Date" field to LASTUPDATE.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on GeoNet

Start a new discussion in Local by email or at GeoNet

Following LASTUPDATE vs last_edited_date & LASTEDITOR vs last-edited_user in these streams: Inbox

/

0 Kudos