Select to view content in your preferred language

How to Traverse Points of Intersection - Tangent Distance, Delta Angle, and Radius

02-25-2013 11:07 AM
Labels (1)
JamiePetersen
Occasional Contributor II
I have an old survey-type drawing (pdf attached) for a street centerline that I would like to draw via COGO traverse.  It gives Points of Intersection, Tangent Distance, Delta Angle, and Radius in a table.  The legal description references phrases such as "thence N 79-29-30 W to the point of curvature (PC) of a curve... and to the point of tangency (PT)".  I'm struggling to get my COGO editing environment to produce results.  Anyone care to share their thoughts on how I should go about getting the centerline drawn?  Thanks in advance.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JamiePetersen
Ok - figured this out.  For reference, I used this formula along with the windows scientific calculator do convert between DMS and Degrees:
For Right-turns: 180 + Delta Angle
For Left-turns: 180- Delta Angle
This got me the vertex to vertex line, but I still haven't quite figured out how to do the actual centerline with curves intersecting points of tangency and points of curvature.
0 Kudos
JamiePetersen
And the last piece of the puzzle is solved.
I used the Curve Calculator tool from the COGO toolbar to add the angle and radius, which gave me the tangent length.  Using the given tangent length, I created line segments extending out from the PI's.  Then I used the Arc Segement editing tool, snapped to the tangent length lines, then hit "r" key to enter the radius.  Done.
0 Kudos