How can I publish a password protected WMS Service with ArcGIS Server 10.5.1?

09-25-2019 11:04 PM
RobertBuckley1
Occasional Contributor

Is is possible to publish a password protected WMS service using ArcGIS Server 10.5.1? My windows server 2012 system uses LDAP for its internal user accounts. I want to publish WMS Services which are password protected due to lizenzing restrictions attatched to the data. What possibilities do I have to implement this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mehretab
Occasional Contributor II

We selectively protect our services when required using our proxy server and here is how we do it . We have windows and Linux based ArcGIS Servers and we apply the same method on both. Our proxy server is Apache based, and I am not sure what your proxy server is running on but if Windows I guess your IT will be able to figure it out. 

Here is one example to protect a single service:

<Location "/wepAdaptorName/rest/services/xxx/xxx/MapServer">

Order allow,deny

Allow from all

AuthType Basic

AuthName "Restricted Files"

AuthUserFile /home/xxx/xxx/xxx

Require user yourUserName

</Location>

I am not sure if it is the best way but it is certainly one way to deal with services that are protected in a stand alone  server (not federated with Portal).

Mehretab

0 Kudos
RobertBuckley1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion. How do users access the WMS Services? Is the username and password visible as part of the WMS URL?

0 Kudos
Mehretab
Occasional Contributor II

Using url. If you put the service url (yourArcgisDomain.com/arcgis/rest/services/FolderName/serviceName/MapServer) on browser, a popup will appear and it will ask you for user  name and password before opening it. If you provide wrong credentials then you won't get to see the content of the service.

0 Kudos