Fire Service Maps from ESRI Solutions for Local Gov't

10-03-2018 03:55 PM
RhondaPerozzo
New Contributor II

HI all,

I am attempting to create Fire Run books in the new Fire Service Maps solutions for Local Gov't using ArcGIS Pro 2.2.1.   I am all good with loading data and installing ReportLab (with the required pillow and python - adn yes, I cloned my environment first before installing ReportLab, due to running ArcGIS Pro 2.2).  Where I am getting stuck is in the "Create Run Book pages".  I get to the last step, attempt to run and the tool crashes every time at random pages.  I am creating a map book with 163 pages, one time it crashed at page 94, another at 55 and even another at 161.  Ugh!  I cannot seem to find anything wrong with data, display or process.  And there is nothing to be found in the geoprocessing history.  I have successfully created the cover page and index map.   If anyone has successfully used this solution and/or have had the same issues,  I would love some advice.  Thanks all!

0 Kudos
28 Replies
BuckySwider
Occasional Contributor

You are correct- that field is just the number, and that is all I have in there.  Check out the LGIM schema- there's a number of different fields/permutations of the address available in SiteAddressPoint:

https://solutions.arcgis.com/local-government/help/local-government-information-model/get-started/Da... 

Also, upon further review I need to walk back my assertion that you wouldn't be able to print addresses unless you load them into the LGIM schema.  Although my thought would be to populate as many LGIM fields as you can, of course you can put anything at all on the map prior to creating the run book or wall map.  My county supplied the parcel outline polygons in a shapefile- I added that layer after all the stock stuff was loaded up.  And now I'm trying to figure out how to add water hydrants.  I've a feeling that's in an LGIM schema too, but if I can't figure that out I'll just insert my own layer like I did with parcels.  

0 Kudos
BuckySwider
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rhonda / Heather, did you ever get this to work?  I've experienced the same exact thing- crash during "Create Run Book" pages.  After all it took me to get this far it was quite the disappointment!!!  

0 Kudos
HeatherEisan
Esri Contributor

Hi Bucky,

I would recommend contacting Esri Technical Support to try and troubleshoot why ArcPro is crashing.

Heather

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Bucky:  Have you already setup the python environment for this solution before Pro crashed?

What version of Pro are you working with?

BuckySwider
Occasional Contributor

Yep, I cloned and activated the python environment, and installed Reportlab.  I think that's all I need to do, right?

It's ArcGIS Pro 2.2.3.  

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I believe so.  It's great to hear that you had no issues setting this up, but this is another item that needs to be documented to create this solution on the specific computer whete you cloned the python environment.  Are you able to create an incident for the Pro crash?  I am very interested in knowing the cause of the problem so I can workaround it when this solution is set up at my org as it seems to occur when you setup this solution as 3 separate people are having the same issue.

BuckySwider
Occasional Contributor

It's actually documented in the task- it even specifies the clone requirement if you're at 2.2.  Was much less daunting then I had anticipated- was actually rather simple.  I was previously unaware that the "python environment" was an ArcGIS construct- at first blush I thought I needed to somehow mess with my PC's python environment, which scared me since I use that daily to process incident reports.  

No case opened yet- there's something wrong in my organizational setup that says I don't have permissions to open up a support case.  It says to contact my administrator to get the permission assigned.  But I'm the administrator!!    

I contacted the account rep and hopefully this will get squared away soon and I'll be able to open a case.

Be on the lookout for another thread I'll be starting w/r/t fire run books- the python script that creates the street index pages is quite lacking for the purpose.  Gonna look for advice or a crackerjack python programmer to try to get it up to speed.  

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

You made this statement "Be on the lookout for another thread I'll be starting w/r/t fire run books- the python script that creates the street index pages is quite lacking for the purpose."

I'm just curious how you can tell that the python script cannot create the street index pages if Pro crashed on you?

0 Kudos
BuckySwider
Occasional Contributor

It's actually a separate task.  After the "Create run book pages" bombed, I moved on to the "Create street index" task.  

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I thought the python module along with the street centerline data in at least part of the LGIM would create a sufficient street index.  Can you go into more detail on the "lacking for the purpose" of the street index that was created?  Maybe some screenshots of what was produced vs what you expected.

0 Kudos