ERROR 000042: Failed to create the address locator

Jump to solution
03-24-2015 06:44 AM
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

Geonet_AddressLocatorFail_24MAR15.png

We have tried a few different variations.

I am running ArcGIS for Desktop 10.3 connecting to a 10.2.2 server environment.

My co-worker is running ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.2 connecting to same server environment.

His failures were minor differences but still fails. We have checked the permissions with no worries.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StevenGraf1

It looks as if you are creating the locator and saving it in your SQL database.  Is this correct?  I have seen this fail multiple times.  Try to output it to a local drive/folder and see if it works correctly.  If it does, then you should be able to copy and paste it into your SDE.

Steven

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
StevenGraf1

It looks as if you are creating the locator and saving it in your SQL database.  Is this correct?  I have seen this fail multiple times.  Try to output it to a local drive/folder and see if it works correctly.  If it does, then you should be able to copy and paste it into your SDE.

Steven

0 Kudos
ShawnaErnst
Occasional Contributor

We're having a really similar issue.  We're trying to create an address locator from a 10.3 Desktop to a 10.3 SDE on Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2. 

We get the following error:

Error.png

Have you gotten anywhere with this?  I can create locators in a File GDB no problem.  I tried Stephen's suggestion of copying and pasting the locator from file system to SQL, but got this similar error:

Error2.png

0 Kudos
TimLomas
New Contributor

We had the exact same problem.  Unable to create a locator in arcsde 10.3 SQL database, but able to create the locator in a file geodatabase. Then tried to copy the locator from the file geodatbase to arcsde as Steven suggests and got the same error as Shawna:

However, just by clicking "OK" to get rid of the error message and immediately right-clicking and selecting copy again (into the sde database), the copy works.  Weird problem, but it seems consistent -- always fails on the first attempt to copy, but works on the second attempt.

0 Kudos
ShawnaErnst
Occasional Contributor

I tried clicking OK and then copying the locator a second time, and had the same result as Tim.

(Thanks, Tim.  I hadn't even thought to try that. Also - I included a link to this thread in an email to ESRI support.  I promise to post again if I get some resolution on this...)

0 Kudos
QuinnFrancis
New Contributor III

Brian,

You are experiencing a known defect where an address locator fails to create if the 16th character of the fully qualified object name happens to be a period. 

In your case and in Shawna's case, a period falls on the 16th character of the fully qualified name, causing the address locator to fail.

LocalGovernment = 15 characters

PublicSafetySDE = 15 characters

This has been addressed and fixed at version 10.3.1.

ArcGIS 10.3.1 Issues Addressed List

http://downloads.esri.com/support/downloads/other_/1031-IssuesAddressedList.pdf

ShawnaErnst
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, Quinn!!!

0 Kudos