Drawing a line direction.

Jump to solution
04-21-2015 08:35 AM
BryanHouk
New Contributor II

I recently started working in a PVA office and am having to look at deeds to find property boundaries. The deeds will give a certain direction for a certain number of feet, and I don't know how to do this. I know how to get the distance. But I can't figure out how to get the line drawn in a specific direction. For instance N89°09'07" W a distance of 33.54 feet. If you could explain this, it would be a tremendous help.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Another flavor:

One can also create a line direction by starting an editing session, clicking to create your first point, then right-clicking which will bring up a menu (see below).  You can choose "Direction" from the menu and it will then draw the line in that direction.

NOTE:  By default, angles are entered in degrees using the polar system, which is measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. You can specify a different direction measuring system or unit on the Editing Options dialog box > Units tab.

Source:  ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

direction.jpg

Chris Donohue, GISP

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

If you want to digitize a line in a specific direction, this may be of help:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Another flavor:

One can also create a line direction by starting an editing session, clicking to create your first point, then right-clicking which will bring up a menu (see below).  You can choose "Direction" from the menu and it will then draw the line in that direction.

NOTE:  By default, angles are entered in degrees using the polar system, which is measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. You can specify a different direction measuring system or unit on the Editing Options dialog box > Units tab.

Source:  ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

direction.jpg

Chris Donohue, GISP

BryanHouk
New Contributor II

Thank you Chris. That is exactly what I was looking for.