Contour Index

07-26-2013 07:45 AM
PatriciaMoehring
Occasional Contributor
Can someone tell me what the Contour Index is supposed to represent?  It is either 0 or 1 and how topo lines are symbolized in the template.  Thanks, Patricia
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlanToms
Occasional Contributor
Can someone tell me what the Contour Index is supposed to represent?  It is either 0 or 1 and how topo lines are symbolized in the template.  Thanks, Patricia

The index contour is there to help certain elevations stand out so it is easier to read.  For example, I have 1ft contour feature class.  Any contour with an elevation divisible by 5 I have as my index contour.  As far as symbology, just make them a little bit different so they stand out; thicker lines, different dash lengths.

Alan
0 Kudos
HeatherEisan1
New Contributor III
Contour Index is (like Alan mentioned) is a thicker symbolized line and is usually labeled with the elevation that it represents. Depending on the contour interval it may be every fourth or fifth line. 0 represents the contour index while 1 represents the contour interval which is the contours between the contour index. Contour interval will be symbolized with a thin line and it will not be labeled.
0 Kudos