Select to view content in your preferred language

Can I map election results with precincts?

04-22-2015 05:55 PM
IrvinDe_La_O
New Contributor II

Hello everyone,

I want to map a congressional district election result. Can i do it with precincts or can it only be based off zip codes? Also, where can I get the file for precincts to create a layer in the map? This is for an LA County race. I haven't mapped in a while and will appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

If you want to keep the fill, you can just drag the other boundary layers on top of your precinct layer in the table of contents. Anyway, once you have them in the order you want them, you can just right click the layer you want to edit, and select start editing. It is not  good idea to take your data outside of ArcMap to edit, such as excel, as that can really mess things up. I would advise that you read this introduction to editing: ArcGIS Help 10.1

Sol_Wuensch
Occasional Contributor II

I agree with Sephe about not editing the data outside of Arc.  A join within ArcMap is a temporary link between the datasets.  Generally, I prefer to join the data (perhaps to see what matches or doesn't match) then if I like the results I will export it so that it is a separate static layer.  Although possible to edit the layer, I don't think it would not be possible to edit the excel data since that is data being joined from another dataset that ArcMap knows very little about.  Exporting the data will create a layer with Object IDs and all the fields you have turned on when exporting the join, after exporting the data is in an ArcGIS format.  Performance should be better on the exported layer too.  This will also remove data locks on your Excel spreadsheet should you need to edit it. However, remember that the export is a static layer and will not reflect changes to your Excel data after exporting.  If you need a dynamic layer that joins your excel data and GIS data, then I would suggest looking into SDE, where you can create spatial views that are basically dynamic joins where the data is managed by a RDBMS like SQL Server.

Sol_Wuensch
Occasional Contributor II

Maybe this helps some?

Electiondata

2008 Obama/McCain Vote by Precinct | Spatial Social Science Lab

Esri Thematic Atlas

Like Sephe asks above: where are your election result data coming from?