Select to view content in your preferred language

Access Database and ArcMap 10.1

10-19-2012 06:44 AM
Labels (1)
JasonFink
Deactivated User
I recently started working for a land company as their GIS tech.  They have no GIS data at all so I am pretty much starting from scratch.  I have created shapefiles for all of their land tracts and included the in-house tract number and property type in the attribute table.  There is an existing Microsoft Access database with all of the historical data (deeds, sales, purchases) for each tract.  What is the best way to link access to my existing shapefiles?  I have tried exporting from access into an excel file and then relating in ArcMap, but the field that I am using to relate on (tract number) wont appear.  The Excel file has several rows for each tract (each row detalis a different sale).  Am I missing something simple?  PLEASE HELP!!!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
HectorGutierrez1
Emerging Contributor
You need to have a unique identifier in the fields of each data you want to relate for exmaple, in a parcel feature class the APN could be the unique identifier so when you export your data from Acess to Excel you can have a field in each set of data that relates to each other and make a join with that field.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//005s0000002n000000
0 Kudos