Recreation License Outreach Dashboard

Jump to solution
09-25-2019 08:17 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is there any documentation on how ESRI is interpreting the Recreation License Dashboard, particularly the popups? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndyShoemaker
Esri Contributor

Hi Kyle,

No worries, I'm glad to help out. Answers to your questions are below.

1) A person is listed as renewed if they purchase consecutive years. The scripts only looks at the last 2 years, it does not distinguish between a 3 year holder and a 2 year holder.

2) Correct, a person is "Reactivated" if they bought in 2015, not in 2016, and then bought again in 2017.

3) A: Yes, the Total License Holders is the current number of unique Hunting IDs for the current selected year.

B: The Percent Renewed/Reactivated is based off the current year's data. It assumes that the licenses to reactivate have simply not done so yet. Therefore, if there are 10 total hunting IDs, and 3 are reactivated, it will show 30% Renewed/Reactivated. This is looking at the Hunter's ID number and not the individual.

C: You are 100% right on this. This was a mistake in the arcade. I've created an issue for this and it will get updated. This should be the sum of the "To Reactivate" fields. To get the total number of "New Licenses" we would add this "To Reactivated" value to the "Renewed and Reactivated" values. Subtracting that from the total number of licenses would show the "New Licenses"

4) You can configure this by changing your input values. Instead of using 2015, 2016, and 2017, you could instead use 2014, 2016, and 2017. This will work, but can produce some odd results since a year of data is missing. What we really envision with this is a more 'up to date' scenario. Instead of looking at years, smaller segments of time can be used such as quarters. Using the ArcGIS Pro tools, we can track change over time to see what the current status of license retention and reactivation is.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Andy

Andy Shoemaker

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndyShoemaker
Esri Contributor

Hi Kyle, 

The popups are driven by data generated with the Recreation License Management Project. All values are based off the records supplied for a group of 3 years. 

For example: If you are looking at 2017, the data used to calculate values comes from 2015 and 2016. A "Lapsed License" in this case would be someone who purchased in 2015 and then didn't in 2016 or 2017. Conversely, a  "Renewed or Reactivated License" is a person who purchased in 2015 or 2016 and then purchased again in 2017.

These values are all generated with the supplied scripts in the Recreation License Management Project. This takes the raw license data with purchase date and calculates these values for you. The Arcade is then summing the fields to get the total values on the fly. 

Is this the information you were looking for?

Andy

Andy Shoemaker
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Andy,

Thanks for the quick response. It does a little bit but to get more in depth, when looking over the code, the scripts, and what has been stated in the webinars some things were left unclear.

1) Is a person listed as "Renewed" when they purchased a license in consecutive years. So, if they purchased in 2016 and 2017, however, it is not distinguishing that person if they bought a license in the the 3 consequence years (2015, 2016, & 2017) just the 2?  

2) A person is listed as "Reactivated" if the bought a license in 2015, not in 2016, but again in 2017?

3) With the arcade expression (popup):

a)  Total License Holders: would be the # of unique ID's (Hunters) for the current year (2017).

b) Licenses Renewed / Reactivated: is the % (Licenses) renewed out of the total licenses (renewed, reactivated,                  and to reactivate) over that 3 year periodIn the webinar it is stated as "Whom Renewed/Reactivated out of                      the total license holders"? But I believe this to be looking at licenses not holders, as a holder could of                  purchased multiple license types.                           .

c) To Renew / Reactivate: is looking at the sum or total (Licenses) "Renewed" and "Reactivated" .  In the webinar it is                   stated as "Who we need to renew/reactivate". My question here would be why is it listed with this title as                           these licenses were already renewed and reactivated? Also, if you were to take this number (sum of                  Renewed and Reactivated licenses) and subtract it from the total licenses sold in that geography, would that                   be considered "new licenses"? I feel like I may be missing out on something with that assumption. 

4) In the webinar it is stated "lapsed licenses is based on a category (2 or 3 years).... which you can configure that number up". So right now it is demoed as 3 consecutive years but what is it meant by "you can configure that number up"

Some of this a may just be overlooking the code and misinterpreting it but some clarification would be great. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
AndyShoemaker
Esri Contributor

Hi Kyle,

No worries, I'm glad to help out. Answers to your questions are below.

1) A person is listed as renewed if they purchase consecutive years. The scripts only looks at the last 2 years, it does not distinguish between a 3 year holder and a 2 year holder.

2) Correct, a person is "Reactivated" if they bought in 2015, not in 2016, and then bought again in 2017.

3) A: Yes, the Total License Holders is the current number of unique Hunting IDs for the current selected year.

B: The Percent Renewed/Reactivated is based off the current year's data. It assumes that the licenses to reactivate have simply not done so yet. Therefore, if there are 10 total hunting IDs, and 3 are reactivated, it will show 30% Renewed/Reactivated. This is looking at the Hunter's ID number and not the individual.

C: You are 100% right on this. This was a mistake in the arcade. I've created an issue for this and it will get updated. This should be the sum of the "To Reactivate" fields. To get the total number of "New Licenses" we would add this "To Reactivated" value to the "Renewed and Reactivated" values. Subtracting that from the total number of licenses would show the "New Licenses"

4) You can configure this by changing your input values. Instead of using 2015, 2016, and 2017, you could instead use 2014, 2016, and 2017. This will work, but can produce some odd results since a year of data is missing. What we really envision with this is a more 'up to date' scenario. Instead of looking at years, smaller segments of time can be used such as quarters. Using the ArcGIS Pro tools, we can track change over time to see what the current status of license retention and reactivation is.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Andy

Andy Shoemaker
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Awesome! That makes things allot more clearer and will help in relaying our messages.

Thanks again,

Kyle

0 Kudos