Trouble with cold spots in Optimized Hot Spot Analysis

Jump to solution
04-11-2018 06:57 AM
DanielSchwartz
New Contributor

Hello everyone. I am running optimized hotspot analysis for point crime data. The hot spots identified in the analysis make sense to me but the cold spots do not align with a visual inspection of the data. My understanding is that cold spots represent low cell values (i.e., low crime counts as aggregated into cells using a fishnet cell overlay) surrounded by other low cell values. On visual inspection, it seems like there are many areas on the graph that are a lot “colder” than the identified cold spots. If anyone could assist with interpreting these cold spots, it would be greatly appreciated. I have attached 4 screen shots with the area in question circled in red. My email is Daniel.Schwartz@humber.ca

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RyanRuthart1
New Contributor II

Hello,

Looking at the screenshots the hot and cold spots are for point values. What settings did you use in optimized hot spot analysis ? Selecting an analysis field it will calculate hot spots of the analysis field values. Leaving the analysis field blank will run the hot spot analysis by aggregating the points into a grid an analyzing the counts. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RyanRuthart1
New Contributor II

Hello,

Looking at the screenshots the hot and cold spots are for point values. What settings did you use in optimized hot spot analysis ? Selecting an analysis field it will calculate hot spots of the analysis field values. Leaving the analysis field blank will run the hot spot analysis by aggregating the points into a grid an analyzing the counts. 

DanielSchwartz
New Contributor

Hi Ryan,

Yes, you are 100% right. I actually was playing around with it this afternoon and saw that if I leave the Field blank, the analysis works. But thanks so much for confirming!

0 Kudos