Spatial Analysis Tools and State-Level Data

Jump to solution
03-02-2022 09:49 AM
monstera
New Contributor II

Hi,

I'm using ArcMap 10.8.2 to analyze data from a table that has U.S. state-level data (50 data points).  I have tried a few different tools (high/low clustering, exploratory regression, geographically weighted regression, spatial autocorrelation (Morans I) , and I get errors no matter what I try.  Errors messages mention invalid parameters, unexpected error (999998), or Error 040038.  Might this be because I don't have enough data points (due to having just one value per state rather than county-level values, i.e., many values per state), or is something else wrong?  All of the variables I want to explore are numeric with no other characters except a decimal point, and these variables are all available for selection in the tools I'm using.  My input variable of interest shows up when I select the correct layer, and everything else, to my knowledge, looks okay.  I can't share the data but I have 50 lines of data and my columns of interest are rates or percentages expressed with a decimal point (no %).  

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LaurenGriffin
Esri Contributor

Is your data associated with any geometry? If not, you can download the state polygons from the Living Atlas and join the table data to it. Once your data is associated with polygons, those tools should work well. 

If your data IS associated with polygons and you're getting those errors, try using repair geometry ? Otherwise, copy the layer, remove all the fields, add a numeric field (add field, then calculate the field to match the object ID field, for example), then see if you still get errors running those tools on the new field. If you do, the issue is your geometry. Consider downloading the state polygons from Living Atlas instead of using your current geometry (if you need points instead of polygons, you can use the feature to point tool). If removing the fields corrects the problem, the issue is with one of your fields. See if you can pinpoint which field(s) are creating the problem.

I hope this helps!

Lauren

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LaurenGriffin
Esri Contributor

Is your data associated with any geometry? If not, you can download the state polygons from the Living Atlas and join the table data to it. Once your data is associated with polygons, those tools should work well. 

If your data IS associated with polygons and you're getting those errors, try using repair geometry ? Otherwise, copy the layer, remove all the fields, add a numeric field (add field, then calculate the field to match the object ID field, for example), then see if you still get errors running those tools on the new field. If you do, the issue is your geometry. Consider downloading the state polygons from Living Atlas instead of using your current geometry (if you need points instead of polygons, you can use the feature to point tool). If removing the fields corrects the problem, the issue is with one of your fields. See if you can pinpoint which field(s) are creating the problem.

I hope this helps!

Lauren

monstera
New Contributor II

Thank you for your help.  I am using the USA_States_Generalized layer, which I added as a layer from ArcGIS Online and joined to the table I created.  When I try to use Repair Geometry on the layer, I get this: Error 000314: [The path for the layer] is not a shapefile or a feature class in a personal or file geodatabase.  I'm not sure how to correct that.

0 Kudos
monstera
New Contributor II

I figured it out!  I got rid of the original layers, saved the same USA_States_Generalized map to my database, rejoined the table, and tried the exploratory regression tool.  It worked, so I expect the others to work as well.  I never would have figured this out without your help.  Thanks again so much!