Is there a tool already created that will calculate the total area for each pixel value in a raster that falls within each zone in an overlayed poygon?

Jump to solution
03-09-2016 07:54 AM
Syvertson
Occasional Contributor III

I am about to create a model to do this, but before I go and do that I want to be sure whether this exists already.

I need to find out the area of each pixel value from a raster within a zone from a polygon overlayed.  The closest I have found to this so far is the "zonal statistics" tool in the ESRI Spatial Analyst Toolbox.  Ultimately, I would like to join the table to the original polygon zone layer to add these values as attributes of the zone. 

Thanks in advance,

Matt Syvertson

msyvertson@co.richland.nd.us

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I think you're looking for Tabulate Area​, using a county feature layer as the zone input.

Tabulate Area illustration

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Zonal Statistics as Table—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  

cell area is cell width*cell height.  Area is cell area * cell count

0 Kudos
Syvertson

I might not have been clear about what I am trying to do, so I will use an example.  Lets say I have a polygon layer which has all counties in the state, and I have a raster layer in which each pixel has a value range of 1-5.  I would like to overlay the two and receive a table with the columns county,1,2,3,4, and 5.  So for each line, I would like the county name, the area of value one in that county, the area of value 2 in the county, etc...

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I think you're looking for Tabulate Area​, using a county feature layer as the zone input.

Tabulate Area illustration

Syvertson

Thanks Darren.  That worked perfectly.

0 Kudos