Getis-Ord Gi* and water quality monitoring data

Jump to solution
08-30-2021 09:47 AM
Kelly21
New Contributor

Has anyone applied the Getis-Ord Gi* to Hot spot analysis of lake water quality data? I'm interested in identifying the best spatial relationships to use (fixed distance, inverse etc). 

I have data for 30 lakes. A few of the lakes are actually connected via small streams. Has anyone had experience where the spatial relationships may differ in this regard? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LaurenGriffin
Esri Contributor

What helps me decide, is to think about the question I want to answer. Do you want to identify regions for remediation, for example? If so, maybe think about what the remediation size might look like (maybe the goal is to treat lakes within 1 square mile at a time). If you are thinking about pollution sources, then you might want to think about how best to represent lake connectivity (you can create a spatial weights matrix to represent custom relationships perhaps based on whether or not lakes are connected by small streams ?). If you just want to show where water quality is bad, with only 30 lakes, maybe you can just map the water quality for each. If you have at least 30 water quality samples at different locations within some lakes, you can run hot spot analysis on the samples within those lakes separately to see if there are hot spot pollution points with a lake. 

I hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Lauren

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LaurenGriffin
Esri Contributor

What helps me decide, is to think about the question I want to answer. Do you want to identify regions for remediation, for example? If so, maybe think about what the remediation size might look like (maybe the goal is to treat lakes within 1 square mile at a time). If you are thinking about pollution sources, then you might want to think about how best to represent lake connectivity (you can create a spatial weights matrix to represent custom relationships perhaps based on whether or not lakes are connected by small streams ?). If you just want to show where water quality is bad, with only 30 lakes, maybe you can just map the water quality for each. If you have at least 30 water quality samples at different locations within some lakes, you can run hot spot analysis on the samples within those lakes separately to see if there are hot spot pollution points with a lake. 

I hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Lauren