Combining Census Tract to Land Use

05-18-2012 01:49 PM
anthonykitchin
New Contributor
Hello everybody,

Here I am again; I hope someone can help me. I have two polygon layers, one with census tracts and other with the land use. I want to combine them so as to know what area/percentage of each census tract is occupied by each land use. E.g. CT 6200345.01 = 20% commercial, 70% residential, 5% institutional, 5% industrial.
I have tried with Zonal Tabulate. It apparently works. It creates a table (which I can afterwards join to my CT polygon layer) with one column for each census tract and figures in rows for each land use. But the figures in each cell are really really small numbers, like 0.000004. I thought that those figures represented area in square meters/kilometers or whatever. But when I sum up the areas of each land use in a row, it doesn't match to the area of the census tract.
Does anybody have an idea of what I am doing wrong? or does anybody know if there is another way to perform this operation?
Thanks in advance,

Andres
0 Kudos
2 Replies
boonejardot
New Contributor
Sounds like you did not project your data.  .000000004 sounds like its in decimal degrees.  Project your data first.  Depending on the projection you use, it still may not exactly match the census area of some other source.
0 Kudos
NobbirAhmed
Esri Regular Contributor
Just need a clarification:

Say the area of a tract is 100 unit. In that tract residentical area is 20, commercial is 30 and institutional is 20. Together they occupy 70% of the tract area. The rest 30 unit do not belong to any of the categories.

How do you want your resulting values to be? Such as, for residential you want percentage against the total of the landuses (20/70 * 100)? or against the total area of the tract (20/100*100)?
0 Kudos