Collect events function to calculate node valence for street intersections

01-21-2011 11:11 AM
michellepop
New Contributor
Hi everyone,

I have the following issue: I have a street file and I need a point file that contains each intersection and the valence of each intersection. For example, an intersection of three streets will have a valence of 3.

I used to be able to use the Calculate Fnode Tnode 2.0 extension by Juan Solorzano, but it does not work with ArcGIS 10. Therefore, I came up with this solution instead:

1. I used the "intersect" function and used my street file as input. I specified I need a point file as an output. I obtained a point file with all intersections. For each intersection I obtained a set of overlapping points that correspond to the number of arcs which intersect there. For example, if three arcs intersect there, I would have three overlapping points. Thus, the number of overlapping points would indicate the node valence for that intersection.

2. I used the "Collect events with count rendering" function from Spatial Statistics to get a table indicating how many overlapping points are present in each intersection (that is the valence of that intersection). I checked randomly and it seems OK.

My question is: does this sound like a sound procedure to determine node valence? Am I messing up somewhere?

Thank you so much for taking time to make sense of my post,
M
0 Kudos
1 Reply
SashikanthGurram
New Contributor
Hi Michelle,

First of all, sorry that I am unable to answer your question. However, I myself have a question for you.

I am using the 201 NAVTEQ Quarter 4 NAVSTREETS data to do a similar kind of analysis where I am trying to get the number of intersections (with 4+ links, 4 links, 3 links or just 1 link) in a circular buffer.

There is a particular attribute in the NAVSTREETS data which will allow us to identify the nodes which correspond to an intersection. But the problem with this is, if it is a 4 link node, there will be 4 point objects overlaying one another. Is there a way to identify these different intersections and separate them (like 4 link intersection point, 3 link intersection point etc) based on the number of overlaying points?
0 Kudos