Calculating the MAX value derived from overlapping cells within a polygon area?

Jump to solution
02-28-2014 12:58 AM
CliveCartwright
Occasional Contributor
This is a statistical problem my brain is struggling with on a Friday...

How do I calculate the MAX value for a polygon area that can both derive the max from either a single layer or multiple ones added together?

I've tried to demonstrate the question with the illustration below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31859[/ATTACH]

Any help would be most appreciated.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Clive,

If your data is in raster format you can correct the individual rasters (A, B, C and D) to have a value 0 in case of NoData. Then just sum the new rasters together and perform a zonal statistics (SUM) of the raster using your polygons as zones layer.

If the value grids are polygons (vector layers), you could merge the layers together to create featureclass with regions (overlapping polygons). When you do an intersect between your zones (also polygons) and the regions, it will intersect the regions themselves too and create smaller overlapping polygons. The stacked polygons can be use to dissolve the features and apply a Sum while dissolving. For this you will need a new key column, which you could create from the zones ID and the Shape_Area. See image below with the intersect and dissolve results:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31860[/ATTACH]

Kind regards,

Xander

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Clive,

If your data is in raster format you can correct the individual rasters (A, B, C and D) to have a value 0 in case of NoData. Then just sum the new rasters together and perform a zonal statistics (SUM) of the raster using your polygons as zones layer.

If the value grids are polygons (vector layers), you could merge the layers together to create featureclass with regions (overlapping polygons). When you do an intersect between your zones (also polygons) and the regions, it will intersect the regions themselves too and create smaller overlapping polygons. The stacked polygons can be use to dissolve the features and apply a Sum while dissolving. For this you will need a new key column, which you could create from the zones ID and the Shape_Area. See image below with the intersect and dissolve results:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31860[/ATTACH]

Kind regards,

Xander
0 Kudos
CliveCartwright
Occasional Contributor
Brilliant Xander. I'll give this a go.

🙂
0 Kudos