WHAT HAPPENED TO THE ARCVIEW FUNCTIONS LIKE TRIM, EXTRACT, SUBSTITUTE, ETC? HOW CAN I DO THOSE THINGS IN ARCGIS 10.51?

Jump to solution
10-02-2017 10:49 AM
lindatomaselli
New Contributor III

I used to use all sorts of neat tools when calculating, such as trim, extract, left right, substitute, etc.  What happened to these?  I want to use them in ArcGIS 19.51.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

I am an old vb'r .... hate python but got to go with the changes.....  I found this site useful in starting to migrate my scripts over to python.

http://vb2py.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/convert.py 

This is only a short term fix.... but it help move my stuff quickly with little re-writes.

But basic functions are not hard....

Trim

!myField!.strip()   or rstrip() or lstrip()

A good useful source I use is Python Reference (The Right Way) - DRAFT — Python Reference (The Right Way) 0.1 documentation 

lindatomaselli
New Contributor III

Thanks for your help.

I don’t think I will become proficient in Python any time soon, but eventually I had to learn Avenue, so this may be no different…..until ESRI decides to make another big change to its programming language.

I took a college course on VB and got an “A” but never figured out how to use it with ArcGIS. That training has long been forgotten.

I like to keep things simple so I can pass my models on to other users, but knowing the way to use the old tools from ArcView is very helpful to me.

Dr. Linda Tomaselli, GISRDC

341 Jamaica Way

Niceville, FL 32578

(850) 687-6459 or (850) 897-2012

<mailto:Ltomaselli@GISRDC.com> Ltomaselli@GISRDC.com or <mailto:Ltomaselli@Earthlink.net> Ltomaselli@Earthlink.net

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Alphabetical list of ArcPy functions—Help | ArcGIS Desktop   is a good place to start.  You can find the functions you used and see sample code for most.

I'm looking for the 'ol functionality equivalent list and will post if I find it.  This assumes you are trying to convert AV custom tools to ArcPy.    BTW - there are many threads that talk about learning python and ArcPy if you are interested.  Do a quick search or one of use can post if you have issues.