WHAT HAPPENED TO THE ARCVIEW FUNCTIONS LIKE TRIM, EXTRACT, SUBSTITUTE, ETC? HOW CAN I DO THOSE THINGS IN ARCGIS 10.51?

Jump to solution
10-02-2017 10:49 AM
lindatomaselli
New Contributor III

I used to use all sorts of neat tools when calculating, such as trim, extract, left right, substitute, etc.  What happened to these?  I want to use them in ArcGIS 19.51.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
12 Replies
lindatomaselli
New Contributor III

oops, I mean 10.51

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

They are field calculator options when the vb option is used.  You should get used to python and its similar functionality.  BTS those options will be available in either incarnation when a Text field is selected and not any other field type

lindatomaselli
New Contributor III

Where can I find the syntax, and "how to" instructions?  There is nothing in the help files.  I am frustrated because it was so easy to use in ArcView.

0 Kudos
lindatomaselli
New Contributor III

Thank you very much.

I finally figured out how to do it. It was so simple, with a bit of help from outside sources. I just needed to select the python option in calculate, which automatically surrounded the field in !!, and then followed the syntax that I learned.

This was a big frustration for me, so this was a big advancement in my knowledge.

I am a very intense, but basic user, and I have resisted the need to learn Python. GIS used to be more simple. I guess I am a dinosaur… my experience goes all the way back to PC ArcInfo and writing SML’s.

I might add, I was looking for a simple example like:

BLOCKID =

!BLOCKID!.replace("17113","99999").

Again, thank you for steering me in the right direction.

Dr. Linda Tomaselli, GISRDC

341 Jamaica Way

Niceville, FL 32578

(850) 687-6459 or (850) 897-2012

<mailto:Ltomaselli@GISRDC.com> Ltomaselli@GISRDC.com or <mailto:Ltomaselli@Earthlink.net> Ltomaselli@Earthlink.net

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

glad it worked out... 

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Glad you got it worked out.  I am also one of the dinosaurs from back in the ArcINFO Workstation and AML days.  Python, in my opinion, was the first good substitute for scripts I wrote on AML.  So give it a chance.  With all the samples in the help doc, (and here in the Geonet community), you may really like it.

In any case, remember to mark comments in the thread as helpful, and one as correct....or at least "assumed answer" so the thread will be closed.  Happy GISing.

0 Kudos
lindatomaselli
New Contributor III

Thanks.

I am not sure how to close the thread. I don’t see a place to do it on the site.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If you are doing if thru the email, it doesn't have an option  You will need to open it in a browser.  Then there should be a place to mark on of the answers as correct.....or in the original post, there should be an "assumed answered" if nothing answered it for you.  Hope that helps.

A good blog to look at, for future reference...  https://community.esri.com/community/help-and-feedback/blog/2016/08/15/community-news-and-tips-how-t...‌ 

And if you end up needing to post code in the future /blogs/dan_patterson/2016/08/14/script-formatting?sr=search&searchId=0171eb4c-8db7-4ffc-b945-bf8df37...‌  or https://community.esri.com/people/curtvprice/blog/2014/09/25/posting-code-blocks-in-the-new-geonet?s...‌  just fyi

0 Kudos