How to convert overlapping polylines to overlapping polygons

Jump to solution
11-12-2014 05:01 PM
RickBombaci
New Contributor III

I have a shapefile with overlapping "polygons" that are actually polylines. How can I convert the polylines to polygons without having ArcGIS converting the areas of overlap into new polygons?

For example, if I have two overlapping polyline figures, I want to end up with two overlapping polygons, not three (where the third polygon is actually an area of overlap between the two polyline figures).

Thank you,

Rick

Overlapping polygons.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RickBombaci
New Contributor III

Thanks to Dan and Steven for your suggestions. I noodled around and found an excellent tool from Jenness Enterprises called Tools for Graphics and Shapes (Jenness Enterprises - ArcGIS Tools ). Simple to use, and did exactly what I needed with no fuss or bother.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

there has to be a quicker way than saving each polygon as a separate file, then merging them together...but in a pinch it would work

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

I have never tried ET_GeoWizards tools.  There are several free tools in the toolbar and Polyline to Polygon looks to be one of them.  It may be worth a shot.

Steven

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

Another option more along the lines of Dan's response would be to create a model that iterates over a unique value in your polyline layer which then converts each polyline into a polygon.  Each polygon would be in it's own feature class and then you could merge them together.

0 Kudos
RickBombaci
New Contributor III

Thanks to Dan and Steven for your suggestions. I noodled around and found an excellent tool from Jenness Enterprises called Tools for Graphics and Shapes (Jenness Enterprises - ArcGIS Tools ). Simple to use, and did exactly what I needed with no fuss or bother.