Determining specified areas with specific number of events?

07-09-2014 09:46 AM
Jay_Gregory
Occasional Contributor III

I have a point feature layer, and want to determine which areas have 5 or more points within 100 miles (not necessarily which points have 4 or more points within 100 miles from it).  I'm unclear on how to do this, and am open to suggestions.  Would hexagonal binning work for this, or should I create a raster?  What about as new points get added (as they do about one every 10 minutes or so).  Would I have to redo the entire analysis, or is there a way to fold the new point into the previous analysis, to see if the addition now satisfies the condition.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I think you need to give more information. For example what is creating points every 10 minutes? This means your dataset is changing 144 times a day. So what mechanism is going to trigger the analysis? I'm guessing you have some live feed coming into a server? If so you probably want to use the GeoEventProcessor. I have no experience of this so someone else would be better placed to suggest how to use that.

There is this tool that creates hexagons. I guess this need to be built only once?

0 Kudos