Can't get measure tool units back to decimal degrees

Jump to solution
06-15-2017 04:34 PM
MichL
by
New Contributor II

I am at my wits end with this and am looking for some assistance.  I was using the measure tool and it was displaying in decimal degrees as I wanted.  Then I changed it to meters temporarily and then wanted to go back to decimal degrees, but no matter what I do I can't get it back.  I followed these instructions from Arc desktop help online Specifying a coordinate system—Help | ArcGIS Desktop:

and my data frame is set to display in decimal degrees, but the measure tool is still displaying meters.  What am I missing???

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Maybe one workaround is creating a new data-frame with a Geographic Coordinate System (same as the older one). Use the measure tool once again to get the values in Decimal Degrees. Even if you activate the older data-frame now, the units should be back to Decimal Degrees. Just needed to deactivate the Distance Units. I did not find an easier method to do this.

Think Location

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is "New Data Frame 2", the active data frame? You need to activate the data frame, if already not active.

Think Location
0 Kudos
MichL
by
New Contributor II

yes...it was the active data frame

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Maybe one workaround is creating a new data-frame with a Geographic Coordinate System (same as the older one). Use the measure tool once again to get the values in Decimal Degrees. Even if you activate the older data-frame now, the units should be back to Decimal Degrees. Just needed to deactivate the Distance Units. I did not find an easier method to do this.

Think Location
MichL
by
New Contributor II

That seemed to work.  Thank you!!  Frustrating that decimal degrees isn't an option in the units drop down