Site Scan LE and 360 Panorama

Jump to solution
09-02-2021 11:50 AM
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

Hi there

Yesterday I tried capturing a 360 panorama image using the Panorama functionality available in teh Site Scan LE app.  We want to use it for monitoring purposes as it is now easy to recapture the same image in a years time as the flight has been recorded.

So flying the drone and taking the 28 images was easy, I just cant figure out how to now stitch the images to create the panorama image and then to view it.  

Are there any links to documentation or advice that anyone can give?

Regards

Mervyn

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NicoBonnafoux
Esri Contributor

Hi @MervynLotter

Within the ArcGIS System, stitching of 360 panoramas is done in Site Scan Manager, which requires a license. You simply upload the images from the Flight app, and they're stitched automatically in about 20 minutes. Here's an example of the results.

Alternatively, you can use third party software to stitch your photos into panoramas, here are some options. Certain DJI drones, like the Phantom 4 Pro or Mavic 2 Pro, also have the ability to capture and stitch panoramas, this requires the use of the DJI Go 4 App. 

Regards,
Nico 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
NicoBonnafoux
Esri Contributor

Hi @MervynLotter

Within the ArcGIS System, stitching of 360 panoramas is done in Site Scan Manager, which requires a license. You simply upload the images from the Flight app, and they're stitched automatically in about 20 minutes. Here's an example of the results.

Alternatively, you can use third party software to stitch your photos into panoramas, here are some options. Certain DJI drones, like the Phantom 4 Pro or Mavic 2 Pro, also have the ability to capture and stitch panoramas, this requires the use of the DJI Go 4 App. 

Regards,
Nico 

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@MervynLotter I highly recommend PTGUI for stiching photos to create 360 panoramas. It's totally free.

https://www.ptgui.com/

That said, as @NicoBonnafoux says, DJI drones will do the stitching for you. But I find PTGUI is the better result. 

If you have Photoshop then Photomerge works, and you can also do it in Lightroom.

David
..Maps with no limits..
MervynLotter

Dear David

I thought I would provide some feedback - I have a workable solution!  So I tried PTGui but the free version really has excessive watermarks, rendering it just about unusable.   I share below a screengrab to demonstrate what I mean. 

WAtermarks.png

I tried a few other free options but really liked Microsoft's Image Composite Editor although I understand it is no longer supported  - but I was able to find the install file on the Internet. 

Equally important is sharing 360 pictures and I found kuula.co a be a great free option. It can handle quite large files (larger than some of the other options I tested), but when exporting images from the stitching software, I had to make sure that I set the maximum width to 16384px and then it loads and displays perfectly. 

Best wishes

Mervyn

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@MervynLotter, ah well it seems PTGui has gone downhill since I last used it 😕

However, I can help with the options for displaying online, and Momento360 is pretty awesome. It's free, you can embed into your website,  and you can link it to a VR headset.

https://www.momento360.com/ 

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
MervynLotter

Hi David

Memento360 got a lot of good reviews and seemed to be many peoples favourite. I did try it (before kuulo.co) but I was unable to upload my 360 panorama image and I suspect it struggles with larger files. 

Best wishes

Mervyn

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

yeah i think it's a maximum of 250MB per 360

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
MervynLotter

Thank you very much for the feedback and the suggestions. I am looking into them.

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

Personally, I'd say that SiteScan Manager isnt necessary unless you already have the licence. It's a big investment if all your doing is stitching 360s, and is geared towards large businesses with drone fleets.

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos