Automatic GCP Detection not working

Jump to solution
04-04-2023 10:49 AM
Geobunga
New Contributor III

I have a couple flights where I deployed standard black/white checkered control points on the ground within my flight area and within Site Scan Manager I uploaded the GCPs and enabled automatic GCP detection. No matter what I do, automatic GCP detection does not seem to work. Both before and after processing imagery, the "Review Detected GCPs" button never shows up and GCPs do not appear to be automatically detected. Is there a certain order of operations I need to follow? At what point in the workflow is the detection supposed to occur?

For these flights I used a Mavic 3 Multispectral which isn't supported by Site Scan Flight App, so the images were uploaded to Site Scan but not flown using SS if that makes a difference. Any help getting this to work would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JavierPablos_EsriEspaña
New Contributor II

Hi @Geobunga 

Let´s see if I can help you.

Considerations for Automatic GCP Detection:

• Automatic GCP Detection must be enabled at the project level.
  • Manual GCP Detection should not have been initiated. If there are already GCPs manually detected in the images, clear the GCP's association with the images.
  • Auto-detection requires running the processing of the images.
  • Automatic detection is a separate process from the processing of products, so the first time, it will process the images without taking the GCPs into consideration while it detects the GCPs independently.
  • If I am not wrong, the workflow should be:
    1. Upload GCP in Site Scan Manager (Don’t do manual GCP Detection)
    2. Enable Automatic GCP Detection
    3. Process the images for the 1st time to detect GCPs automatically (don´t select 3D mesh and select low quality point cloud so it finishes faster)
    4. Review the GCPs detected.
    5. If everything is fine, then run the final process with the right quality settings that will take the GCPs into consideration.

Let us know if this works for you.

Regards

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JavierPablos_EsriEspaña
New Contributor II

Hi @Geobunga 

Let´s see if I can help you.

Considerations for Automatic GCP Detection:

• Automatic GCP Detection must be enabled at the project level.
  • Manual GCP Detection should not have been initiated. If there are already GCPs manually detected in the images, clear the GCP's association with the images.
  • Auto-detection requires running the processing of the images.
  • Automatic detection is a separate process from the processing of products, so the first time, it will process the images without taking the GCPs into consideration while it detects the GCPs independently.
  • If I am not wrong, the workflow should be:
    1. Upload GCP in Site Scan Manager (Don’t do manual GCP Detection)
    2. Enable Automatic GCP Detection
    3. Process the images for the 1st time to detect GCPs automatically (don´t select 3D mesh and select low quality point cloud so it finishes faster)
    4. Review the GCPs detected.
    5. If everything is fine, then run the final process with the right quality settings that will take the GCPs into consideration.

Let us know if this works for you.

Regards

Geobunga
New Contributor III

Hi Javier,

Thanks for your reply. I started a new project and followed your workflow, and it seems to have worked. Thank you for the information. I think the main details that helped are 1) Automatic GCP detection occurs during the first round of processing and after that completes you can review and refine the GCPs; and 2) Automatic GCP detection won't work if you have manually located any of the GCPs. 

0 Kudos