Drone descending below take off location when using terrain follow

06-12-2022 02:52 PM
James_Wright
New Contributor II

I have a forestry client who has done extensive testing of Site Scan. A common workflow for them is to drive along forestry roads which are located along ridges usually to access their management area. They then take off with their drone and will descend into the surrounding valleys to complete surveys. 

The current limitation of the drone not being able to descend below the take-off height in an automatic flight mode does not allow for this workflow. 

Would an option to be able to descend below the take-off height be able to be added?

4 Comments
NicoBonnafoux
Status changed to: In Product Plan

We plan to add the ability to fly at heights below the takeoff point in 2023. 

GregoryEnglishAAAE

Please prioritize this feature - flying below take off is essential for surveyors at large open cut operations to operate from the safety of a lookout or crest of the pit.

We also need to be able to reference an elevation service from our enterprise ArcGIS or AGOL.  Terrain changes continuously in a mine and so the ESRI elevation service used by Site Scan renders the existing terrain following feature of little value.  We need to be able to accurately terrain follow for obvious safety and photo overlap/scale outcomes.  Available in competitors products so this is holding back our adoption of Site Scan.

JoeBryant1

@GregoryEnglishAAAE : Have you submitted an official Idea post for your second comment? I can see how using another validated elevation service would be a huge advancement!

NicoBonnafoux
Status changed to: Implemented