Select to view content in your preferred language

Join us for a GeoNet AMA (Ask Me Anything) with Dawn Wright, Esri Chief Scientist

11-20-2017 05:46 PM
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Event details:

What: Join us, with special guest Dawn Wright, Esri Chief Scientist, for an AMA (Ask Me Anything) live on the GeoNet Community in the Sciences group. Ask Dawn anything about science, GIS, her work at Esri (including the relationship of Esri to the scientific community), what's coming up at AGU, and any fun, interesting and thought-provoking questions.
When: The AMA event will take place in this discussion thread on Friday December 8, 2017 from 10:00am-11am PT.

How to participate:

• During the AMA, if you are logged into GeoNet, you can post your questions in the comments below and Dawn will reply to your questions in the comments.
• You're welcome to post questions ahead of the AMA but we won't begin answering them until the AMA begins on December 8th at 10:00am PT.

Reminder: AMA Tips and GeoNet Community Guidelines

• You will need a GeoNet account in order to participate. If you don't have one, you can create one here.
• When asking questions and comments during the AMA, remember to follow the GeoNet Community Guiding Principles.
• During the AMA this discussion page will not auto-refresh, so please remember to refresh this page to see new questions, comments and replies.

You'll know the AMA is live when you see the picture below with Dawn. And then remember to refresh the page to see our updates and new questions and comments.

Thanks for joining us and we'll see you then!

10:00 am - And we're live! Go ahead and ask your questions! 

10:30 am - We're halfway through. Great questions! Keep 'em coming! 

10:55 am - Five minutes to go! Got any fun questions for Dawn?

11:00 am - Overtime! We'll continue to take your questions during this bonus 10 minutes! 

11:10am - And that's a wrap! The live AMA has ended but Dawn will continue to answer questions as schedules allow. Thanks for joining us and asking great questions! 

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
Tags (1)
50 Replies
DeniseWesley
New Contributor II

What do you consider as one of the scientific greatest challenges of our time that has the potential to be addressed using geographic information systems?

DawnWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Oh my goodness! What a great question! This is one that I'll have to think on and maybe post a more detailed answer later. But right now for the sake of time, I'll say that COMMUNICATING science is one heck of a challenge right now, and is so very important in this age where science is being questioned, challenged, put in the category of fake news, etc., all with the stakes so high for our planet. GIS makes a terrific contribution to science communication through story maps. So many great examples of this at http://esriurl.com/analyticalstories and https://storymaps.arcgis.com 

------
Dawn Wright (she/her/hers), Ph.D. & GISP | Esri Chief Scientist
DawnWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Denise, for the opportunity to answer a question like this! My absolute top female role model is my own mother, an educator in speech communication, but always a beacon of integrity, grace, patience, and good humor. Others who have inspired me include Dr. Sylvia Earle because of her energetic, articulate, and passioned crusading for the oceans and for the entire planet. Her ability to communicate with beauty and passion, as well scientific accuracy, has inspired me. I could go on and on but would also like to salute to Dr. Rachel Haymon, now retired from UCSB as a geology professor who taught me so much about how to lead scientific expeditions at sea and in the lab, and how to be unrelentingly rigorous and careful in doing science.

------
JanBenson1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dawn, is the Marine Data Model still around?  Is there a link for it?  

DawnWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jan! Great to see you here today! Yes, Arc Marine is still around and at http://dusk.geo.orst.edu/djl/arcgis . But this blog post may be even more helpful to you as to the way forward: Course Change for the Arc Marine Data Model | ArcGIS Blog  

And we are now in the web GIS pattern moving beyond the desktop geodatabase, always sharing the latest and greatest beyond ArcMarine at the annual Esri Ocean GIS Forum, http://www.esri.com/events/ocean

------
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Dawn! Our NOAA group focuses of spatial planning related to commercial aquaculture screening and siting throughout the US EEZ. We are working on a NOAA (NCCOS/OCM)/DOE project now to integrate EMUs (or the capsule) into an ocean - reporting framework. We would love to collaborate further with yourself, Keith and the rest of the ESRI Ocean Team to optimize aspects of our efforts. Would ESRI be interested in this opportunity?

DawnWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Lisa! Wow! We would most definitely be interested in working with you! We can talk more about this offline but we would definitely love for your group to join our growing list of EMU use case projects as attached

------
DeniseWesley
New Contributor II

What are you currently reading?

DawnWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Pieces of Eight by John Drake, Pieces of Eight: John Drake: 9780007268962: Amazon.com: Books  

------
DeniseWesley
New Contributor II

Do you have any advice for young women today who would like to begin a career in geospatial sciences, or who are just starting out?