Converting netcdf on native structure to lat-long for GIS

05-24-2021 11:00 AM
OceanPaige
New Contributor

Hello!

I am currently working with large oceanic model outputs structured as netcdf files (ROMS for anyone familiar with physical oceanography). Ultimately I would like to seamlessly import them into ArcPro. The catch: the coordinated of the netcdf are native (we call them xi, rho) instead of being lat, long. Additionally, the depths of the model outputs vary, such that the model always draws 60 depths, no matter how deep the water is at a given point.

Everyone in my lab creates maps and figures from these files in matlab and coming from a GIS background I am frankly pained at how poor the maps look and how little utility they have. I want to bring our work into the world of GIS finally!

I have some rough ideas of how to do this conversion, but I wanted to bring this question to the community to see if anyone has approached a similar situation with netcdf conversion and working with high resolution ocean models.

If this is not the correct arena for this question or if more details are needed please let me know. All thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Paige Hoel (UCLA Oceanography PhD student)

3 Replies
VictoriaPhillips1
Esri Contributor

Hi @OceanPaige! Thanks for posting your questions. I am going to tag @KevinButler1 and @HongXu for help on this one!

0 Kudos
VictoriaPhillips1
Esri Contributor

Also tagging in @DanPatterson and @DavidPike 🙂 

0 Kudos
VictoriaPhillips1
Esri Contributor

Hi @OceanPaige this thread might help. It shows how to convert netcdf to long-lat for raster. Let me know if it helps!

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-spatial-analyst-questions/convert-netcdf-to-raster/m-p/503786

0 Kudos