So what are your plans for your Flex Viewer site

07-03-2014 01:33 PM
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As esri has shifted focus way from the Silverlight and Flex APIs and towards the JavaScript API. This means that the Flex and Silverlight APIs will not be updated beyond 3.x. Ultimately this means there will be no significant enhancements made to the APIs of the Viewers that are built on top of those APIs. See this link:  Esri's Roadmap for Web Developers

So what plans do you as ArcGIS Viewer for Flex adopter have for going forward?

Have you seen the Beta of the Web App Builder and the JavaScript Viewer Stem App?

37 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Since our department is now moving away from flex as a whole, I'm switching to the JavaScript API/builder going forward, especially with mobile devices becoming more of an impact on our sites and services. However, the Flex apps I have will remain for a while, and I will continue to use the builder for quick, powerful, builds.

It never hurts to have more than one tool in the toolbox!

0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor II

I like the look of the JS App Builder but I am limited by the browser version on the target networks. Unfortunately that is IE8 which is not supported Looks like my Flex site will be around for the foreseeable future

0 Kudos
anjelinaponkerat
Occasional Contributor II

Hi

Esri should work on Html5. Is there any way to export html 5 project from flash application builder?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Anjelina,

Esri is working on HTML5. It is called the JavaScript API and it uses HTML5 goodness. The Web App builder uses the JavaScript API and is modeled after the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex, so getting up to speed with the Web App Builder when it is released in final version will not be hard for current ArcGIS Viewer for Flex users.

Robert

anjelinaponkerat

Hi

But when this Html5 application builder will be realeased?

0 Kudos
anjelinaponkerat

If we migrate to JS Html5, is it possible using Atribute table widget, Rout widget and ... like flex viewer?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The Web App Builder includes it's own set of widgets. It does have a route and a attribute table widget. I don't know the release date of Web App Builder yet but I am sure more info will come out at the UC this month.

AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor II

Anjelina,

Check out the web app builder demo from the dev summit:

http://video.esri.com/watch/3211/web-appbuilder-for-arcgis

Anthony

CarmenDurham
Occasional Contributor

We have 2 ultra-customized Flex Viewer applications - both stuck at version 1.3 but still working.  One of them will be phased out.

We have 6 or so "built from scratch" Flex applications that are currently still at the 2.4 or 2.5 Flex API!!  I keep making changes to them because I can do that quickly but I have hit a few issues trying to get old APIs to work with newer map services.  I really enjoyed working with Flex and sad to see it no longer receiving updates. 

These flex apps contain functionality that aren't currently available with HTML5/javascript - well - at least that is what I think.  We have experienced turnover and lost one programmer.  I am the other programmer-manager who is buried under just trying to get everything moved over to new servers (we were at 32 bit) and dealing with training people in new GIS tasks.  Time is really the issue right now.

Truth be told, Robert helped so much with my learning Flex that I will probably watch what he does to help determine what to do next!!

We did download the beta version of the Web App Builder but haven't really tested it.

Carmen