Use a date/time rather than date for FROM_DATE/TO_DATE?

Jump to solution
08-22-2019 09:31 AM
AndrewVitale3
New Contributor III

We're integrating our Roads and Highways deployment with an external system. The external system does not like it when the FROM_DATE=TO_DATE, whether it be on historic or current routes.

Sometimes, to preserve internal events, I find myself making a "temporary edit". Perhaps I'll reassign a roadway to a fake ROUTE_ID while I sort out the edit upstream or downstream, then reassign the road to the actual ROUTE_ID.

We use the date the edit was made as the FROM_DATE, by simply pulling up the date picker in the R&H dialog and selecting "Today". The system provides a default of "8/22/2019 00:00:00". Since subsequent edits on the same ROUTE_ID will all have the same FROM_DATE, these types of temporary edits are creating historic routes where the FROM_DATE=TO_DATE.

It seems like the easiest way to address our issue is to use a date/time field instead of a date field. It looks like all Date fields in ArcGIS are also date-time fields, so we're pretty close to where we need to be. Is there a way to have the "Today" Roads and Highways buttons include the timestamp in the "Effective Date" field? Manually entering it ourselves is tedious and error prone, especially since our database is using UTC.

Thanks for reading!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndrewVitale3
New Contributor III

The developers of our external system have started to account for historic data where the FROM_DATE == TO_DATE, making this question moot for us. Thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RyanKoschatzky
Occasional Contributor III

Andrew, 

While the date/time may help for the external system, any and all queries you do will need to account for the date/time. When we looked at doing something similar that added too much complexity to a complex issue. We discovered a number of events I had entered in bulk through EE had date/time and I worked to change the values to be date only. Probably thought of this but can you use last edited date to grab just the active route record you need and not the other benign records?

AndrewVitale3
New Contributor III

The developers of our external system have started to account for historic data where the FROM_DATE == TO_DATE, making this question moot for us. Thanks!

0 Kudos