Roads and Highways Data Model discussion

05-02-2019 06:56 AM
Labels (1)

In support of my presentation at GIS-T, I passed out some data model posters and discussed some of the great practices I've seen in various DOT data models.  I want to share some of those poster models and host some discussion about the similarities and differences here in this discussion post.  

Standing offer to any DOT - send me your data only XML schema and I will make a poster like this.  I've developed some scripts that help with modeling the abstract classes and gotten fairly efficient with making the posters in this basic format. A couple of these models were sent to me in 2016 so if they have changed I'd be glad to receive updates too.

Tags (3)
9 Replies
NicoleHanson1
Occasional Contributor

Kyle-

I wish I sat in your presentation! I was wondering how and what you were going to say about ITD As for the final questions, those HPMS tables were added for some custom scripting checks the previous HPMS coordinator wrote. I can check with our current HPMS coordinator to find out more!

Nicole, That would be great, I guess we didnt have a chance to talk about this.  I did discuss some of those questions between making that presentation and presenting and gave the following answers for the other states:

I found out:

WV does extensively utilize lookup tables and maintains 1:1 coordination between domains and lookup tables in their practice.

Arizona migrated to Roads and Highways from a LRS that was referent based, and as such they do heavily utilize referents and are constantly pushing for more development and support of referent based methods for geo-locating and reporting. 

I eventually figured out OTT means "open to traffic" and I think having that date attribute on geometric events like lanes is a wonderful idea. I mentioned in the presentation they also have some date attributes for HPMS submittal items from traffic count and pavement management systems, which is also a good idea since those separate systems need to be integrated into a HPMS submittal while representing counts or pavement collected and processed on a network as-of a not current network, sometimes that collection and processing is representative of a highway network that is a year old or more by the time it is integrated into HPMS.  

Arizona also keeps a paint attribute and domain in certain paint-relevant events like auxillary lanes, bicycle lanes, channelizations, and medians, and I think I heard James mention they have a pretty precise paint striping GIS polyline layer which I think is awesome and supporting evidence that Arizona DOT is really going great things.

0 Kudos
RyanKoschatzky
Occasional Contributor III

NCDOT's Data Model as of April 2019. 

Nice Poster Ryan!  I like how NCDOT has incorporated source documentation attributes, facility exclusion types, the HPMS Sample events, and the widening event. If you have complete address ranges in that street name event, that is incredibly progressive for a DOT in my opinion and very impressive.  I think I remember talking with you or Erin about that a couple years ago and I am impressed by the depth of LRS knowledge of the average non-DOT GIS professional in North Carolina.  Having glanced at this, these would be my questions for discussion:

Do routes increase in the direction of address increase and/or is left/right is based on address range direction or route direction? 

Do you use Collector or Survey123 for HPMS sample inventory?  It looks like this model would support either of those solutions fairly well.  

0 Kudos
RyanKoschatzky
Occasional Contributor III

Routes increase in the direction of travel. While we model addresses we do not maintain them, that is outside of our band width. We do maintain full name. I would not recommend modeling the data the same as we have for streetname. Of all our event data, streetname is the most problematic and I get the most returns for issues compared to other events. It is around 2:1 or greater for the number error hits.

Our HPMS folks are setup for Collector, not sure if it is used for sample data but they do use it for small pipe inventory. Other business units are/going to be using Survey 123 but they are using that to collect data not on our route network. I can put you in touch with our mobile team if you like as that is outside my wheelhouse. 

0 Kudos
JoelWorrell1
New Contributor

Kyle -

Thanks for sharing your work!  This will be helpful for us develop our R&H data model in the near future.  Good luck with everything!.

0 Kudos

Transportation Planning/FRA reporting based draft data model for Railroad

0 Kudos
JoelWorrell1
New Contributor

Awesome. Thanks

0 Kudos
AndrewVitale3
New Contributor III

Almost a year later, and this is proving useful to NYSDOT. Thanks, Kyle.

0 Kudos