Long MXD load time with Roads and Highways desktop extension installed

01-30-2019 07:17 AM
AlexCarter1
New Contributor III

An MXD with a large amount of layers included (usually our basemap), the load time between the Roads and Highways extension vs. no extension, is ~10 minutes vs. ~30 seconds.  Has anyone else noticed an issue with large MXD's being opened with the extension?

I currently have to use another desktop to do my work not related to Roads and Highways. Turning the extension off does not change the outcome.

Currently on Windows 7 and ArcMap 10.6.1, but had the same problem in previous versions.

Thanks,

Alex

9 Replies
NicoleHanson1
Occasional Contributor

Alex-

I haven’t noticed any lag time- we also are on 10.6.1. What are your computer specs?

Nicole

0 Kudos
AlexCarter1
New Contributor III

I doubt it is the computer as it is brand new.  I have tried it on 3 different PC's.  One was the first install of ArcGIS which was 10.6.1.

New PC:

Intel Xeon E-2136

32 GB DDR4

Nvidia Quadro P2000

Toshiba 1TB NVMe SSD

0 Kudos
NicoleHanson1
Occasional Contributor

Ok, which basemap do you have?

We use the bing map. We don’t have any insets (some that we do have those do take longer).

Is your computer a 64-bit or 32-bit? Did you check the box to enable faster drawing on the hardware (I usually notice that when Arc is updated, or my system is).

0 Kudos
AlexCarter1
New Contributor III

It is a custom basemap, not an ArcGIS online basemap tile package.  It has over 100 layers in it, with 12 scales.  The issue is load time of the MXD.  Not drawing, querying, etc.  Without the extension, it takes about 30-40 seconds to open.  With the extension 9-10 minutes.

Yes the box is checked for enable faster drawing.

0 Kudos
RyanKoschatzky
Occasional Contributor III

Yes, NCDOT (10.5.1) have also experienced long arcmap load times. We are still investigating the issue. 

0 Kudos
AlexCarter1
New Contributor III

Does your application open but hang for a long period of time with no drawing or table of contents?

0 Kudos
RyanKoschatzky
Occasional Contributor III

Yes, from WMX it took 3.5 minutes to display the table of contents and another 1.5 minutes to finish loading. I had no layer turned on. I have 27 layers, 16 in 3 groups layer. Only about half of the layers are coming from R&H.

0 Kudos

Here is a long list of things to try regarding slow performance issues in 10.5, mainly revolving around SQL server versions and issues.

https://community.esri.com/thread/190605-arcmap-105-slow-performance 

bbieb
by
Occasional Contributor

We bumped into this by accident this week.  We have a large mxd with 16 insets and 20+ layers/inset (not used for RH editing). One of our RH editors was working on the map for the executive team and it opened up in 3 minutes.  Another user who had been working on it said it took her 10 minutes.  To make a long story short, the first person had a new pc and the RH extension wasn't installed.  As soon as it was installed, it went to a 10 minute load time.  When we uninstalled the extension, it dropped back to 3 minutes.  I also had the same results on my pc.  I am at 10.8.1 and the RH editors are at 10.7.1.  Very frustrating.

brian
0 Kudos