Crossing Versions of Roads and Highways

Jump to solution
02-01-2019 09:52 AM
Labels (1)

We tested RH editing tools in ArcMap and quickly discovered that many documented issues are resolved by performing edits with the 10.6.1 desktop version.  The issues resolved in 10.6.1 enable us to most expediently proceed in our implemention so we are implementing at 10.6.1.

In our testing, the issues are resolved by only changing the desktop environment.  We initially edited a 10.4.1 geodatabase version (based on server keycode version) in sql server.  In my experience there is usually a few versions of backward compatibility between desktop version and geodatabase version.   My latest server keycode is a 10.6.0 so that's what I was enable my SQL server geodatabase.

So my question is, what is the risk associated with cross version edits, specifically between 10.6.1 desktop and 10.6.0 gdb version?  I remember hearing at one point there was a schema change in the geodatabase... if that is a real thing at which version does that occur?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmitHazra
Esri Contributor

Hello Kyle,

Based on your question above my understanding is that you'd like to know whether you can make a client-server direct connection from ArcGIS Desktop to an enterprise geodatabase where the Esri release versions do not match. It sounds like your enterprise geodatabase release is at 10.6.0 and your client software including R&H desktop extension is at 10.6.1. Although our documented best practice is to keep them in sync, you do not have to keep your geodatabase and ArcGIS clients at the same release. The compatibility matrix to determine whether you are in the clear can be found here: Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop  

In your specific case, ArcMap 10.6.1 should have no issues editing a versioned enterprise geodatabase at release 10.6.0.

Amit @ Esri

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmitHazra
Esri Contributor

Hello Kyle,

Based on your question above my understanding is that you'd like to know whether you can make a client-server direct connection from ArcGIS Desktop to an enterprise geodatabase where the Esri release versions do not match. It sounds like your enterprise geodatabase release is at 10.6.0 and your client software including R&H desktop extension is at 10.6.1. Although our documented best practice is to keep them in sync, you do not have to keep your geodatabase and ArcGIS clients at the same release. The compatibility matrix to determine whether you are in the clear can be found here: Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop  

In your specific case, ArcMap 10.6.1 should have no issues editing a versioned enterprise geodatabase at release 10.6.0.

Amit @ Esri