Cartographic Realignment Calibration points

Jump to solution
10-14-2020 12:19 PM
Labels (1)
ColinSchut
New Contributor III

When doing cartographic realignments, on networks where the option "Update route length and recalibrate the route based on change in geometry length" is checked a calibration point will be created at the start of this realignment. Is there any reason to keep this point in the case where measures of the entire route should be derived from the geometric length?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CliveReece
Esri Contributor

Colin,

Amit and I discussed your question.  As long as your original route calibration is based on geometric length, you can safely delete the added calibration point.  Likewise, leaving it alone does no harm either.  

There is one unique data case where you most likely would want to leave the added calibration point in.  That is when the original calibration of where you are performing the cartographic realignment already contains a custom calibration that creates either long or short miles.  In that case, you most likely would want to keep the added calibration point because it "pins" the custom calibration upstream of the carto-realign, and only the downstream calibration until the next calibration point becomes geometric length.  

Regards,

Clive

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RyanKoschatzky
Occasional Contributor III

Colin,

I would think you could get rid of the calibration point as a route only needs two calibration points. What would be the use case for removing the calibration point? I know for us, we rarely mess with the calibration points directly. A large portion of our routes have more then two calibration points. 

CliveReece
Esri Contributor

Colin,

Amit and I discussed your question.  As long as your original route calibration is based on geometric length, you can safely delete the added calibration point.  Likewise, leaving it alone does no harm either.  

There is one unique data case where you most likely would want to leave the added calibration point in.  That is when the original calibration of where you are performing the cartographic realignment already contains a custom calibration that creates either long or short miles.  In that case, you most likely would want to keep the added calibration point because it "pins" the custom calibration upstream of the carto-realign, and only the downstream calibration until the next calibration point becomes geometric length.  

Regards,

Clive

ColinSchut
New Contributor III

Thank you for the replies. I have no particular reason to delete it, other than seeing myself or someone else in the future wondering why that point is there along with general cleanliness. Not messing with calibration points directly is probably a good policy though.