BUG-000115036 Line events created on a redline in Event Editor returns the error, "Route measures are null" after creating the route and applying the updates in ArcMap.

01-22-2019 10:16 AM
ErinLesh1
New Contributor III

Anyone using redlining in Roads & Highways? 

We wanted business units to be able to create redlines and add events via Event Editor, then allow our network editors to create a route from the redlines.  In doing so, the events from the redline do not locate on the new route.  

0 Kudos
6 Replies
NicoleHanson1
Occasional Contributor

We are using redlines - but haven't had any event editors mark up redlines yet.  Sorry, can't help much.

0 Kudos
ErinLesh1
New Contributor III

Thanks Nicole.  What is your workflow or intended workflow for redlining?

0 Kudos
NicoleHanson1
Occasional Contributor

Right now, network editors open up a desktop editing (through WMX so it's versioned) and digitize roads.  

In the future, we'll have it in an external web app, so that those who aren't part of the DOT can add/lengthen/shorten/delete roads as needed.  

I'm kinda curious now about using the internal RCE with redline and having features attached - so I'm going to do that in our testing environment and see if I see the same issue you see. 

0 Kudos
NicoleHanson1
Occasional Contributor

So, in the desktop workflow. We copy/paste from redlines to centerlines.  Then proceed like normal with adding the road in (as if it wasn't a redline).  But we don't add route ids to the redline features.  The route ids aren't created until we step through the process from clicking centerline, creating new route, etc.

0 Kudos
NicoleHanson1
Occasional Contributor

So I'm walking through the adding a new redline in RCE - do your event editors know your route ID schema?  And do they enter in the measures for the route?  When I didn't enter that info in, it wouldn't let me even add data to that spot.

I'll see what it does if I just save those without event info on them.

0 Kudos
ErinLesh1
New Contributor III

We tested entering different options in the Redline creation window in Event Editor.  Typically our event editors creating a redline would not know the route id so we just made one up for testing purposes.  RouteIDs are not established until there is an actual route.

Here's the steps we originally submitted to Esri:

Open RCE in user/version 1
Create redline
Add NetworkID = milepoint
Add RouteID = create route id (created 4001236073)
Add EffctvDate = pick date (used 5/1/2018)
Add ActvtyType – picked Create route (optionally reverse route)
Save
Add linear event to redline
Reconcile and post
Open ArcMap in user/version 2 (different version than version 1)
Start editing
Reconcile to get redlines with events added by user/version 1
Digitize centerline where redline suggests new route is located (digitize to photography for actual route location)
Use Choose Centerlines tool to select new centerline
Create Route
Select redline for route id
Apply Updates
Select by attributes on event layer to select new route id (40001236073)
Event record exists but has LocError

We did additional testing with Esri Support.  If we created a redline with measures, then created a route for that redline with measures, the route did not exactly match the centerline geometry.  The line event had measures correctly in the attribute table, but LocError said Route has Null Measures. 

0 Kudos