Advice on version of R&H to implement

01-14-2020 06:15 AM
AndrewLindsay
New Contributor

Manitoba Infrastructure is getting closer to going to production with R&H's for our road network and highway inventory.  I am told we are targeting version 10.6.1 but I believe we should be using a later version.  I think i need some ammunition to help sell my idea to management and ESRI Canada.  Does anyone have information to pass along in terms of the limitations of 10.6.1 compared to more recent releases?  Or the extra benefit from going to a later release?  Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
NicoleHanson1
Occasional Contributor

Hey Andrew! 

We're currently on 10.6.1.  Right now the only benefit of going to 10.7.1/10.8 is to get set up for using R&H in ArcPro.  At least for us at ITD.  Sorry, probably not much help right now.

ErinLesh1
New Contributor III

Andrew - I'd suggest 10.6.1 or 10.7.1.  Both will be getting a backpatch with additional bug fixes sometime this month.  You're one step closer to Pro with 10.7.1.  If it helps, NCDOT is about to jump from 10.5.1 to 10.7.1.

Maybe you can look at what's new and/or bug fixes to try and justify the version you should implement:

Esri Roads and Highways 10.6 Issues Addressed 

What's new in Esri Roads and Highways—Roads and Highways Desktop | ArcGIS Desktop 

Esri Roads and Highways 10.6.1 Issues Addressed 

Esri Roads and Highways 10.7.1 Issues Addressed 

ArcGIS Location Referencing 10.7.1 Patch 1 

I think most of your benefits to the 10.7.1 upgrade have to do with the improvements and bug fixes with the enterprise portal, and perhaps the portal integration with data reviewer.  KDOT is at 10.6.1 and in the process of upgrading to 10.7.1.  I will let you know how that goes.

Kyle

NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Andrew,

I'll echo what Erin and Kyle mentioned above.  Between 10.6.1 and 10.7.1, we've added new functionality to Event Editor and improved product quality through bug fixes in Roads and Highways Desktop and Server.  That's not to mention additional functionality and bug fixes made throughout ArcMap and ArcGIS Enterprise from all the other teams at Esri.  If you can, go with 10.7.1.

Nathan

Esri Roads and Highways team

I would add that this particular issue is a small but helpful improvement between 10.6.1 and 10.7.  

BUG-000115339 - Make Feature Layer on a layer that participates in the ALRS ignores the SQL Expression set in the script