esri roads and highways

03-06-2020 10:36 AM
Labels (1)
ChristopherReed
New Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to make new event layers off centerlines in a linear referencing network using the Roads and Highways extension in ArcMap. Specifically, we have a centerline network of various trails and roads and I am trying to make an event layer for bike paths. Is there any way to quickly add multiple attribute entries to an event layer from a regular feature class? I cannot do append because the feature class does not have event layer information. It is easy enough to manually add bike paths onto the event layer attribute table, but this is very time consuming and I would like to find a faster, more effective method.

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
AmitHazra
Esri Contributor

Hello Christoper

If I'm interpreting your post correctly it sounds like you have a GIS feature class representing your bike path extents but the features do not have LRS route and measure information associated to them. I'm assuming these features may or may not be coincident with your network geometry. I'm assuming you'd like to derive route and measure information for each feature and then use Location Referencing Append Events GP to bulk load the paths rather than simply using Event Editor. I would suggest as a first pass looking at the core Linear Referencing tool called Locate Features Along Routes. The output from this tool is a table that provides the relative route and measure information for your spatial features. Be cautious when using this tool on linear data as the algorithm to convert lines to linear events uses a cluster tolerance which can sometimes yield unsatisfactory results. There are other more workflow-centric and custom GP-based patterns but I'd be curious to know whether this tool gets you a good part of the way on your migration.

-Amit@esri

Roads and Highways team 

0 Kudos