Capturing Lane Type information

01-05-2022 02:58 PM
Labels (1)
Colin_Schut
New Contributor III

To date the only lane information we've tracked is the "number of lanes", which is an attribute for Canada's National Road Network but doesn't provide us with much value. 

I am wondering how best to model lane information in a simple way. The short term suggestion has been to add a comment field to the feature class, and while keeping in mind the vast majority of our network is two lane highways with the occasional passing lane, I still see major issues at intersections where the records aren't currently split and inaccuracies over time if we stuck with it.

I'm considering a cross sectional position table with attributes for Lanes like L1/L2/L3/L4 with the type of lane in each, and the number of lanes can then be derived. At least this way new records don't outdate adjacent records.

We will never have routes for each lane,  and having a feature class per lane would probably be overkill as well. How do you model this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RickeyFight
MVP Regular Contributor

@Colin_Schut 

This might not be what you are looking for but esri provides very good solutions.
https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-solutions/latest/reference/introduction-to-road-network-data-manage...

RyanKoschatzky
Occasional Contributor III

Colin,

We model that information as events and have split them out among many feature classes to account for the way each attribute can and do change for the level of detail we want. The bold is the feature class name and then fields for each. Lane miles is a post process calculated field in our publication data.

LRSE_LaneWidth LaneWidth
LRSE_Surface SurfaceDetail SurfaceThickness SurfaceType SurfaceWidth
LRSE_ThroughLane LaneMiles ThroughLaneCount

LRSE_LeftShoulder LeftPavedShoulderWidth LeftShoulderWidth LeftShoulderType
LRSE_LeftTurnLane LeftTurnLaneType LeftTurnLaneWidth
LRSE_RightShoulder RightPavedShoulderWidth RightShoulderWidth RightShoulderType
LRSE_RightTurnLane RightTurnLaneType RightTurnLaneWidth
LRSE_Median MedianType MedianWidth
LRSE_Base BaseDetail BaseThickness

Here is the link for the metadata for each field. https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/gisdot/DistDOTData/NCDOTRouteCharacteristicsFieldDescriptions.pdf

Probably more then it seems you want to do but simple to us/me and basically what we have used for the past 15 years. We can discuss more in-depth you if want.