Wetland Determination Survey 123 form

11-28-2018 01:38 PM
ClaireInbody1
Occasional Contributor

Has any DOTs implemented Collector/Survey 123 for their wetland delineations and wetland determination forms? Nebraska DOT has a pilot project under way to convert the wetland determination form into Survey 123 application. We have almost completed it but having a few issues regarding dominance test for vegetation along with a few issues regarding the report template. We are willing to share our insights so far and interested to see what other DOTs are doing. 

33 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Byron,

Custom JS functions are still in beta, but do include the capability to pass a set of repeat data into a function to create a result based on all of the repeat submissions.

BrookeAumann
New Contributor III

https://ecobotapp.com/

Looks like this company has done it.

ThomasHamill
Occasional Contributor II

I see this thread has been quiet for a little while now, but am curious if any Survery123 users out there have successfully implemented this wetland determination survey form and the associated feature report for it.

Kindest Regards,

t
0 Kudos
ThomasHamill
I've developed a USACE Wetland Determination Form in Survey123 for the Atlantic and Gulf Coastal Plain Region (PDF Version 2.0) and I'm looking for folks to beta test it, suggest improvements for how the implementation can be refined such that it makes use of the most sophisticated aspects of Survey123 functionality as possible (within the limitations of the USACE WDF survey design).  I've attached the PDF I followed to draft the S123 design.

The Survey123 form can be accessed through this link.

I plan to draft a Survey123 Feature Report template next so the results can be exported from the S123 feature service into the format of the PDF.
Kindest Regards,

t
BrookeAumann
New Contributor III

@ThomasHamill 

I'll take a look, but that fact that you did this is awesome. While my firm only does wetlands determination in certain offices (and this does not apply to those offices) I've been wondering why government orgs that clearly use ESRI tools/ GIS haven't created these for public use and distribution because it would benefit us all.

CurtKleist
New Contributor III

Hows this form been working out? I just saw thus post but would be willing to try it ourlt and test it for you. I do wetland work in nc/ne but have used a few other electric forms and would be willing to give it a test. Thanks for sharing. 

ThomasHamill

@CurtKleist, I haven't received any feedback on it yet, so feel free to give it a whirl, especially if you're familiar with Survey123!  It'll be important for me receive feedback in order to better understand changes and revisions that will need to be made to the form, and prior to making any attempts to develop a Feature Report that matches the official USACE WDF PDF (which is ultimately my goal).

Kindest Regards,

t
0 Kudos
CurtKleist
New Contributor III

Thanks I'll check it out. Id like to get something setup for the NC/NE. Another company I know uses fulcrum for this but I'd like to customize something cheaper. I will look at it right now. I mainly use Field Maps and do it all myself but Ill test survey 123.

CK

ThomasHamill

I think the XLS Form design of the survey (based on the attached WDF PDF) is relatively robust, i.e., has most if not all questions and choice options, but may have at least several things that could be optimized.

For example, the Tree, Sapling, Shrub, Herb, and Woody Vine Stratums (Vegetation section) all have free-form text (field type) entry for species, but could be changed to a "select one" such that there are coded choices in a drop-down menu that draw from a discrete list of species (that I create and program into the XLS form).

Same goes for the soil color entry.  It's a text field but could be changed to multiple choice.  I'm not familiar enough with the USACE WDF process, but can imagine some surveyors pull from a list of official soil colors, assuming there's a common standard for these that is set by an agency like USDA NRCS or USACE.

I've heard that there can be a wide range in how folks complete the form (when it's done by paper), like writing text where there should be a numeric value recorded or vice versa.

From a UX perspective, all of this will need to be ironed out by experts and seasoned wetland surveyors who're versed in the WDF process before I can prepare a Feature Report to go along with the Survey.  The Feature Report is the next big hurdle!

Kindest Regards,

t
RobertVerheggen1
New Contributor II

I see this has been quiet for a while, but I am also attempting to work on this.  How do all the look ups work for plants, soil types, etc?  The form I am working from has a lot of other information that autofills based on field responses, but I'm not sure how to make that work with a MS Word report template.

Look forward to hearing how you got past that.