crash severity weighting

06-28-2016 08:21 AM
ToddGabhart
New Contributor II

I am seeking to process, in ArcMap, a heat map on crash data including severity. This is NOT an ArcMap processing question I have. I understand how to perform generation of density layers.

I am curious as to whether or not anyone knows or can point me to a resource or explain standard or accepted methodology for weighting crash severity in order to better represent the actual safety urgency.

Thanks in advance.

12 Replies
JeffDickey1
New Contributor

I have used the economic cost of a crash given in Blincoe 2015 Table 1-4

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812013

Yields vastly different results than the 1-5 scale. A fatal crash is weighted 230 times a PDO crash.

ToddGabhart
New Contributor II

Jeff,

I appreciate this perspective and the resource.

I have run some heat maps based upon straight one to one density as well as on the 1-5 weighting and I am interested in doing something for comparison based on what you mentioned.

I have looked over the documentation link you provided and am trying to ascertain what the remaining KABCO weights might be numerically and basis for the quoted "230 time" factor for fatalities you mentioned.

Can you cite a specific table or page in the document?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Another resource is the Crash Analysis tools available here: Crash Analysis | ArcGIS for State Government.

These are based on the methodology defined by the US Road Assessment Program (usRAP). The result of this analysis produces the following maps: Crash Density, Crash Rate, Crash Rate Ratio, and Potential Crash Savings. This analysis is different from other kinds of "heat maps" in that it compares similar segments so the final potential crash savings map is a good indicator of where countermeasures should be applied. There is also the Crash Risks Briefing | ArcGIS for State Government that goes through all of the analysis and provides a good way to communicate your results.