Adding Roads and Highways, LRS functionality to ArcGIS Online

05-20-2016 12:58 PM
GaryWaters
New Contributor III
9 10 3,561

My good friend Jim Mitchell of LADOTD, Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development, put a request in to the ideas site at Esri for adding LRS capabilities to ArcGIS Online.  I am hoping that many of you read this and choose to support his effort to have this critical transportation functionality made part of ArcGIS Online.

ArcGIS Idea - Add Linear Referencing Support to ArcGIS Online 

Click on the above link to get to the request and add your vote and opinion on adding this functionality to ArcGIS Online.

10 Comments
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Gary,

This is a great idea. Would this essentially create a way to utilize routes and mileposts to either locate areas on a map or to create events?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes. The idea is you could locate event data in ArcGIS Online similar to how you can currently locate address data. So you could upload a CSV of event data and see it on a map.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Tom,

This is great news. I know a lot of folks have asked for this functionality. I wonder if it can be custom coded into a Web AppBuilder or so.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Adrian,

Yes I could see a custom widget that allows you to locate LRS data using Roads and Highways web services. That would be a useful widget for sure. That might be another good post on the ideas page (soon to be moving to GeoNet). This request is a little different because it would integrate LRS as a location method in ArcGIS Online. That would enable people to share their own locations using LRS and possibly use that data in their own applications (Web AppBuilder, Story Maps, etc.). Using LRS to locate could also propagate to applications like Esri Maps for Office.

As far as I know, none of this is in the backlog for ArcGIS Online. But that’s why the ideas site is so important. We need the community to tell us if it is really important to them.

Tom

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Hi Tom- has there been any progress in this direction?  I've working on a project that that involves LRS/dynamic segmentation on waterways, along with Survey123 for data collection.

tbrenneman-esristaff

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Joe, unfortunately, no. The ArcGIS Online team is evaluating this but has not made any progress to date. But we have done a lot of work with back end process that tie Survey 123 and Collector data collection to an LRS network. Could you describe in more detail what you are trying to accomplish?

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

What we think would be very cool is have the field personnel be able to spatially verify their location based on a linear event.  For example we are defining stream or river reach as a linear event along route, and we need the field personnel to verify they are within that reach....

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Joe, I think you can do this workflow with related features. Simply create a related feature to your event. Then the field person would be able to click the linear event and add whatever data they want at that location. I don’t think you need linear referencing to support this.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Tom-  if I understand your suggestion, I'll still need an LRS on my source data to create my linear events, but I do not need an LRS for Survey123, just the related feature class.  That said, if my linear events were to change, I'd need to re-create my feature classes from them, and re-publish those, right?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yep you got it. You will need to turn your events into features and use those as the parent feature in the relationship. If your events change than you will need to republish or update the data with the new features.